Did I break my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

RossCessna

Apr 3, 2010
Arcata
So I was riding my bike after just cruising around breaking it in. The chain flew off and ripped a hole in the guard. The little wheel on the motor won't spin now either. WTF happened? Thanks.:-||

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The chain "flying off" is exciting it's tru - but defo not the end of the world :)

Odds are you had not enough/too much tension on the chain (should have about 1/4-1/2" of freeplay), the tensioner isn't properly bent to be inline with the chain and not the chainstay (they're not prebent, you need to do it yerself), and/or your engine & wheel sprockets aren't aligned (squat down behind the bike and sight along top of chain - may need to change rear sprocket to dish other way).

As for "The little wheel on the motor won't spin now either" - even if you pull in the clutch, odds are you'll not be able to turn that by hand, particularly with a newer motor...

hope this helps ;)

RossCessna

Apr 3, 2010
Arcata
Sweet, Thanks, I am glad that I didn't break my motor. Any suggestions for places to find a replacement chain in a small town? I saw that a roller chain, 415??, could be used. Do hardware stores carry chains like these? Thanksdance1

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Cabinfever is right FTW (posted that whilst I wuz still peckin' on the keys o.o)

415 chain is what's supplied with the kit - tho it's of substandard quality. If you can find 415 available locally go fer it, no doubt it'd be far better than the "stock" one.

It's a bit confusing for newer folks when looking for other sized chain as a replacement but I'll try and clear that up - 410 is a heavy duty fixed gear bmx bicycle chain (bike shops outa have it) that's slightly smaller (narrower) than stock but many have used it successfully, 41 chain is a heavier (wider) chain than stock and is commonly available at just about any local hardware/farm supply store - I use 41 on my builds. I don't like it a lot as I think it bulky and overkill, but it's easy to find and cheap at about $12 for a 10 foot roll - far more than you'll need, but nice to have.

While yer there gettin' chain - be sure to grab a spare masterlink and a 1/2 link & a proper chain breaker while yer at it. The chain breakers at Walmart are junk and they can't handle the 415 very well/at all and they sure as heck can't deal with the 41 lol, you may not need the masterlink (with a proper chain breaker) but it's nice to have for emergency repairs, I use a masterlink in my chain even though I've a good chainbreaker for the simple reason that I don't carry that bulky tool with me when I ride. The 1/2 link can help a LOT to get a chain just the right length, these links are pretty long when you consider it's actually two of them that makes a "link" - even with a tensioner you can find yerself with not quite enough/just too much.

Oh right - don't ferget a quality chain lube while yer at it... in case ya don't know, get a "dry" lube (waxy type, dries after application) for a dry environment (street riding) or a "wet" lube (oily, stays wet) for a wet environment (lotsa puddles/off road use). You defo don't need to have both and it's not that important, it's just the "dry" stuff lasts far longer and doesn't poo all over yer shiny bike, the wet stuff works better but is far more labor intensive as ya gotta clean yer bike alla time and reapply the stuff :D

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Make sure your rear sprocket is mounted so that it spins as straight & true as possible so that you don't throw the chain again!! (it's VERY important!)