Ready to freak out!

GoldenMotor.com

djscrappyd

Feb 25, 2010
Northeast United States
I installed everything like I'm supposed to. Added correct ratio. What is that switch that goes up and down on the carb? Where should I have it. I peddle with the clutch lever pulled in, and it doesn't start!
I am seriously considering putting this thing in the garbage! Biggest waste of time and money I've ever spent thus far. I would love to be riding the bike that I've been fighting with for the past 3-4 weeks. HELP HELP HELP!:-||

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
I installed everything like I'm supposed to. Added correct ratio. What is that switch that goes up and down on the carb? Where should I have it.
You didn't mention exactly what type of engine and carb you have, so I'll assume it's a Chinese HT.
The 'switch' on the side of the (NT) carb is the choke lever. Up = on, down = off.
Try one starting attempt with the choke on, (the engine will probably fire but not start), then a second attempt with the choke off and it will hopefully start.

I peddle with the clutch lever pulled in, and it doesn't start!
The engine won't start, or even turn over, with the clutch pulled in. Pedal up to speed, then release the clutch.

djscrappyd

Feb 25, 2010
Northeast United States
thanks! I'm going to give it a try. I think I may have the clutch arm on too tight. I say this because I can still pedal without the handlebar lever pulled in. You're correct, it is that type of motor. Wish me luckdrn2

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Adjust the clutch so that, when released, the engine turns when you turn the rear wheel and, when pulled in, the wheel turns freely without the engine turning.

Good luck, and let us know how you go, for others that read this thread in the future.

djscrappyd

Feb 25, 2010
Northeast United States
The engine isn't taking over. It hasn't fired or anything. I've tried it both ways. What does that screw on the side of the carb do? The one with the spring? Should I be adjusting that? Also, how much "play" should a throttle handle have? I ask this because it doesn't seem like it moves an awful lot. Thanks again! This forum has been my savior thus far. At this point, I don't know what to dolaff

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
I'll assume that the clutch is working OK now.

The engine isn't taking over. It hasn't fired or anything. I've tried it both ways. What does that screw on the side of the carb do? The one with the spring? Should I be adjusting that?
The screw on the LHS is the idle speed screw. Nothing to do with fuel/air mixture, it simply lifts the slide when turned clockwise, to increase idle rpm. It will make no difference to starting.

Also, how much "play" should a throttle handle have? I ask this because it doesn't seem like it moves an awful lot. Thanks again! This forum has been my savior thus far. At this point, I don't know what to dolaff
The throttle cable should have about 2-3mm of play, so that the cable isn't pulled as the bars are turned side-to-side.
If you're not sure about your adjustment, remove the air filter and you'll be able to see the slide. It should be almost at the bottom, (position determined by the idle speed screw), when the twist-grip is released. When the twist-grip is turned to full, the slide should be at the top.

If all is OK in that regard, check that the carb is getting fuel. If you undo the float bowl drain screw, you should get a trickle until the bowl's empty. Hold a rag underneath when you do this and make sure the fuel is turned off at the tap.

djscrappyd

Feb 25, 2010
Northeast United States
I've got the motor running at idle. Of course, when the bike slows down, the engine eventually slows too, until it stops. I have no power in my throttle. I mean, when the engine takes over; I turn my throttle, and I can't get any acceleration. ...Nothing. What should I be looking for, and in what position should my throttle be before the engine starts?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I've got the motor running at idle. Of course, when the bike slows down, the engine eventually slows too, until it stops. I have no power in my throttle. I mean, when the engine takes over; I turn my throttle, and I can't get any acceleration. ...Nothing. What should I be looking for, and in what position should my throttle be before the engine starts?
Is the throttle cable hooked up????With the clutch in can you rev. the motor with the throttle????

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Give it about 1/2 throttle for starting. It's not too critical.

stuartracing said:
You have fouled the plug by now.....Get another plug
The plug will be fine if the engine hasn't been run yet. At worst, it might be oily. A wash in fuel will fix that. The B6HS is a good idea, though.

djscrappyd, I econd that advice - if you're using the supplied plug, throw it away and buy an NGKB6HS. (Unless a B6HS was supplied with your kit.)

djscrappyd said:
I've got the motor running at idle. Of course, when the bike slows down, the engine eventually slows too, until it stops.
It will do that if you don't pull the clutch in as you slow down - it's not an automatic.

stuartracing said:
Is the throttle cable hooked up????
This was covered in post #6. If he read it, we can be fairly sure that cable is connected correctly.

Now that you have it running, run it until it's warm on a clean plug, then remove the plug and check it's colour. This will give an indication of your fuel/air mix. These kits are notorious for leaking air where the carby mounts to the inlet tube.
Also, adjust your idle screw in while the engine is running until it keeps idling without touching the twist-grip, if you haven't already.

djscrappyd

Feb 25, 2010
Northeast United States
Well, Folks.......I GOT IT RUNNING!!!. It was a problem in my throttle assembly. I have had so much fun today! Thank you all so much for caring, and sharing your advice. I couldn't have done it without you! @AussieSteve, Thanks for the advice on the idle screw....that was the finishing touch. I don't have a digital camera, but pictures will be up soon. Again.....thank you all so much! dance1

oldspeedsi

Nov 12, 2009
ABQ,NM
Good job these things can be very finicky but they are fun and very much worth the time and money. this forum is a lifesaver sum times and they are always here to help.