Rear wheel sprocket dilema

GoldenMotor.com

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
You casnnot line the bolts up to install the sprocket on the rear wheel. No, it is not easy. Anyone who saya so here I am now thinking is full of it. I am builiding this in my living area not a garage with 5 million tools and machines. Anyone know how to install the procket without anything besides a socket, please infrom me of an easy way.:-||

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I put mine all togeather(w/help)befor I put it on the wheel and let it set for a week to strech the rubber,I think it srinks in the box,,,it was a little easer

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Put the bolts through all 9 holes,washers,screw the nuts on with your hand then take a 10mm wrench (if you don't own one,use a pair of vices etc.) hold each nut with your 10mm wrench while you are turning your socket on the outside bolts.

I suggest you get a 10mm wrench as most stock bolts are M6X1.0

Take your time dude believe me it will piss you off!

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
Oh! I just temp put it on without the backplates. When I put the bolts through the spokes, all nine, they are not straight. Then, you cannot move them to fit the plates. I can only get them on when it is off the wheel. *^^^&**()(*&$^&$$*&$ oooooooh! well.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Dale,

If I'm reading your post correctly; it sounds like the spoke flange, (the part of the hub that the spokes are connected too), is too large in diameter for the bolt circle on the sprocket.

As barelyawake pointed out, there is an alternative. I make my sprocket adapters, custom, to the dimensions you provide. Simply measure your hub, and spoke flange and I'll do the rest. My sprocket adapters fit perfectly, and it only takes a few minutes to install it with the supplied tools.

Manic Mechanic Motorbike parts

Jim

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I start by only putting in 3 bolts & the back plates, then put in one bolt at a time.
Keep all the bolt loose until it's time to center the sprocket on the wheel.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Oh! I just temp put it on without the backplates. When I put the bolts through the spokes, all nine, they are not straight. Then, you cannot move them to fit the plates. I can only get them on when it is off the wheel. *^^^&**()(*&$^&$$*&$ oooooooh! well.
Like Jim say's, sounds like your spoke flange diameter is to large. Throw that thing away and order one from Jim (Creative Engeneering). I never use the kit adaptor, either make my own or order from Jim. You will be amazed at how easy it installs!

John

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Your wheel must be different then most as has been mentioned. Although the sprocket is the most difficult part to work with in the kit, it is not anywhere near as difficult as you describe.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Hi
A couple ?'s,,,,are the rubber pieces different sizes (still 9 holes)it seem like smaller a diameter than the holes in the sproket? ,,,,,and Jim; I have an old Shwinn ,High Plaines and I just eyeballed the rear hub and it looks similar to the front hub,About 3/4 to7/8 inch (Just enough for the axle) w/a slight hump-up on the f-wheel side,can we get a hub for that small or should I look for a larger hub?,,,Thanks,Gene

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I'm just remembering now when you mentioned different sizes. It was impossible for me to get all the bolts through the 3 holes. What I had to do was drill out all of those holes a little larger. Even after doing that it was still difficult but doable. What a short memory I have sometimes.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi
A couple ?'s,,,,are the rubber pieces different sizes (still 9 holes)it seem like smaller a diameter than the holes in the sproket? ,,,,,and Jim; I have an old Shwinn ,High Plaines and I just eyeballed the rear hub and it looks similar to the front hub,About 3/4 to7/8 inch (Just enough for the axle) w/a slight hump-up on the f-wheel side,can we get a hub for that small or should I look for a larger hub?,,,Thanks,Gene
Gene,

I've made adapters with bores from 5/8" to over 2", so yes 3/4 to 7/8 will work fine. As long as you have a minimum of 3/4" of straight cylindrical surface, our adapter will work.

Jim

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Ok ,my week is busy and mornings early,but I'll find a caliper and get some measuerments,,Your old post,site (aug,sept,nov?)left me w/the thought the hub had to be at least 1.5 in so this new news is great,,I'll try to get some pics too