66cc slant head on a 61cc?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I am new to all of this but I am interested if the slant heads for the 66cc engines will fit on my 61cc engine. I am happy with what i have but just cant leave well enough alone! Not to mention my sons slant head engine kit will be here today!

I have also noticed that when looking at the the head to the cylinder i can see day light on the other side near the outside edges of the head! The engine seems to be running fine though. I imagine if there was a head leak it wouldnt run all that well. I got some wet sand paper so I will take the head off and sand it flat on a piece of glass. Figure couldnt hurt. I also got some ultra cooper rtv to help when reinstalling. I dont want to take the engine out of the bike to flaten the cylinder so I will see what happens.

Last edited:

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
The bore diameter should be the same and the bolt pattern.
But these motors have 2 different pistons.
The happy time in general.

1 the pin is offset higher than the other.

Since it is a 60 it will allways be a 60 unless you change the crank.

The engine size is determined by the bore diameter and the length of the stroke.

A 66 head or a 68 head and jug will fit as long as you have the 8mm studs.

If you 60 has 6mm studs it wont go.

Other than that you might have to adjust the timing by milling or sanding or filing the top of the cylinder or the base of the crankcase.

Just get a jet stealth or jet silver 68.5 cc slant.

I love mine.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I just got the engine kit today for my sons bike- 49cc from BGF slant head. I had to reverse the head so the plug faces forward to fit in the frame (very tight fit on this bike) and while the head was off I measured the bore and its the same as my suppossed 61cc. Do these engines all have the same bore, just different strokes for the added displacement? My 61(61cc is what the sticker says) does have 6mm studs but no problem for me to drill and tap assuming the casings will allow it. I'm just messing around though, having fun. I am curious on the bore and stroke though of these little 2 strokers.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Yep the stroke varys the displacements.
There are 2 piston styles that i have seen.
And alot of diff con rod lengths.

Mostly the 60 + are 47mm bore and the 48cc are 40mm bore

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Oh BTW if you drill and tap the 6mm to 8mm it should be fine.
Lay it out on the case first.
But like i said you will still have the 61cc it won't go up.
Unless you change the crank.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I will measure the actual stroke between the two engines i have. I am just so curious to see if the slant head will be a better preformer. I suppose i could also go and borrow a compression gauge and really see what is going on in there. Just love my new hobby and all the information on this site!

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
You can mill the head down to get the proper clearence.
Compression rules.

Just no higher than 9.5:1.
Measured from the top of the exhaust port.