• 60 years or older (pre 1950)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm just curious, The title of this section is 'Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles'.
I was wondering just how old the bikes should to be to be posted in this section?
This is just for 'vintage' bikes, NOT the board trackers.

This is just out of curiosity, (nothing serious or binding).

How old?

1- 20 years or older? (pre 1990)
2- 30 years " "? (pre 80)
3- 40 years " "? (pre 70)
4- 50 years " "? (pre 60)
5- 60 years or older?? (pre 1950)

My vote is for 40 years or older.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I think pre-70's.
Some 1990's bikes are still in style, fewer 80's but I rarley see any 70's.

I guess a vintage would be a bike that isn't see on the streets often?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think "vintage" is pre-1970's, but i usually call anything after 1959 an "old bike."

from 1959 to 1930 is what i really think of being "vintage."

everything before that, i figure they're "antique."

mostly though, i use the term "classic" when it comes to stuff '50's and earlier.

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Classic: At least 25 years old.

Antique: At least 50 to 100 + years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature.

Primitive: Of or relating to an earliest or original stage or state. ie.. An 1817 Draisienne would be considered primitave as well as an antique, considering it was one of the first bicycles. A 1983 DynaTAC 8000x cell phone may well fit into the catagory of being primitve, it is also of 1980's vintage.

The term Vintage refers to a time frame, ...80's vintage, ...60's vintage, a vintage 1920's bicycle, etc.
Anything that is still of current style or fashion would not be considered vintage.

This was written by someone who is close to being an Antique, listening to some Classic Rock on a Vintage stereo in a Primitave state of mind.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd say pre 70 for Vintage. What we're talking about here are bicycles suitable for becoming motorbicycles. Pre 70 you still have many bikes still made in the USA and middleweights were still around. Many of those, including the Schwinns had 1.175 tires, but still had solid and relatively heavy frames. In my opinion a lightweight bike with skinny tires is not a good candidate for an in frame engine... a little friction drive maybe, but not a 'serious' motorbicycle . (I know, I'm showing my biases and others would not agree.) While I think balloon tire bikes made in the USA are the best candidates for an in frame engine, some of the early sixties bikes were strong and pretty cool looking. After that we're not talking classic, "vintage" bikes anymore. Single speed with a coaster brake is another feature of these old bikes, with a few exceptions, like the 2 speed Bendix hub found on high end Schwinns as an option. I must be stuck in some kind of time warp since these are the only bikes which interest me. A pain to pedal, but great to ride with a motor. There was a time early on when motorcycles and bicycles were much the same critter. The engine made them markedly different, but the bikes themselves had a common origin. As time went by motorcycles became more powerful, the frames got heavier, suspension became more sophisticated and the difference with bicycles became more pronounced. The bikes were still pretty much the same until after WWII when heavyweights gave way to middleweights and finally lightweights with multiple gears and now mountain bikes. Some of the newer bikes are almost as different from the old timers as the motorcycles are. The bikes we're building are much like those of the early days when the evolutionary split between strictly pedaled and motored first occurred. The motors are underpowered and primitive and especially the old bikes are heavy riders... a perfect match in my opinion. That's how I see it, anyway.
SB

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
The vintage definition changes as the younger people get older. To me "hair bands" are outdated but hardly "vintage" or "classic rock". Also, a 1980 Caprice will never be a classic ride to me.
For bikes, considering the look, I'd go for pre-'70 as well.
JMO,
Dave
KC

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's what got me thinking about it.
I scored a old Schwinn real cheap...
It's a 1980 with all genuine Schwinn parts (including the springer!) It's almost 30 years old, it has the original paint, it's American made & in sweet condition.
It was originally a 5 speed, look close at the chain guard.

It looks pretty much the same as a schwinn from the 50's or 60's, it's 'technically' old enough to be in this section, but I don't really think it is...
I think they should be 1969 or older, & I just wanted to know what everyone else thought?

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Oh... it was rusty!
I used a dremel tool with the tiny wire wheel to clean it! I haven't touched the wheels yet.

It must've been in a yard for a long time, because it had ivy roots all over it grown onto the paint & spiders living in it everywhere!

Last edited: