Ok I Am Stumped

GoldenMotor.com

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Hey guys im planing on building a 1920s indian boardtrack racer and im trying to get everything planned out before i hit the shop but i hit a road block! I want to keep this project as best looking as i can and I want to do the same chain set up but i dont know how. Here is a pic of the chain set up. any ideas on how they did that without making the pedals spin to???
:-||

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I think much like the sprag on sbp's shifter this bike is using a one way bearing where the motor is rolling the bearing but the pedals engage the clutch mechanism of the bearing. This is one type McMaster-Carr

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
If you welded on the bearing it would distort and ruin it. It would grind and turn the pedals afterall.

BTW, the assembly you are referring to was called a countershaft.

Dave
KC

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Aw come on haha alright fine.

What if i do a sliding gear thats connected to the pedal crank and when it slides into a groove in the sprocket it moves the sprockets to the engine and tire. If you get what im saying? i guess it would be like a homemade clutch

.bf.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I would suggest you start with this or a similar freewheel. You will still need a threaded countershaft but this will allow a crank to freewheel once the motor is running.

I think you need something with pawls around the circumference rather than something so close to the spindle like the one-way needle bearings. The larger the diameter the better.
BTW, I ruined a HD freewheel's bearing surface just by distempering the teeth enough to cut them. The heat needed will warp the part. These are already set up for mounting.

Darn it. I'm giving away all my ideas for future projects!

Dave
KC

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Sorry about what? We're all figuring this out together!
It's getting me motivated to build a countershaft for a bottom bracket that works. Sick Bike Part's shift kit is basically a countershaft in that it allows the pedals to work and then freewheel when the engine overtakes the front crank speed - just like you suggested. 100 year old technology that we are all trying to reinvent!

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
I like all you guys like a family! haha .If you get any more ideas soon let me know and ill do the same. This system isn't the easiest thing iv ever seen how did they come up with this stuff?

.bf.