My Project from 2007

GoldenMotor.com

johnsonsteven49004

Jun 2, 2008
Hello all, pretty new to the forum here. Here are some photos from my early 1900's Elgin that I restored last summer with a 70cc kit. I hammered out and welded a cover on the tank to create a custom look. I also had to braze brake studs onto the front fork for better control at 35mph. The original rims were steel tubular 28"(sew-up tires), so I re-laced the hubs with 26" double wall rims. I tried to stick with the original paint shceme, but with different colors. Enjoy.

Steve

I have more photos of the project if anyone wishes to see some specific areas.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hey steve whats up! i have to tell you i do not miss michigan at all lol. sunny everyday in the low to mid 80's and 70's at night. hope all is going well at the bike shop. members steve is sharp and knows bicycles inside and out. glad to have you with us steve.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
That is a nice clean motorized bicycle. Where'd you get that seat? Thats the kind of seat I want to put on my new build...................

johnsonsteven49004

Jun 2, 2008
Hey Bikeguy Joe, I know....I have had a fleet of many antiques, including an old wooden wheel track bike....and I debated for a couple of years about what to do with that old Elgin. The redeeming factor was that the bike was solid rust previous to the restoration. The fenders had holes that I had to patch, the rims were solid rust and the frame was pitted badly. I finally decided that I might as well enjoy the bike instead of storing an old rust bucket. With the exception of the brake studs on the front and the rims (I still have the originals), the rest of the bike was well restored.
Steve

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Anyone that can form metal is OK in my book. That is a sharp looking bike, and it looks like you have a knack with hanging paint. Have fun, Dave