Having Issues- New To Forum

GoldenMotor.com

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have been wokring on putting together a motor kit from zoombicycles, the 80cc kit on a mountain bike. I joined this forum a few weeks ago as I saw th interesting idea of getting a motorbike. After debating, I bought the motorbike kit.

Everything seems to be set up properly as the manual described, but when I keep the clutch engaged i can petal for a short period of time (5 seconds or so) then the bike just locks up and stops immediately. I have yet to be able to start the engine, but right now do not know what the issue it.

Also I have been having issues because my Gas tank is so close to my carborator, that its hard to attach the filter in between and keep the fuel line connecting everything as it is a really tight fit. I could really use help on these matters and would appreciate any input.

Thank you,
Chris

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
First - Welcome to the forum, good ta have ya here Chrismbello :)

The problem with the lock up is a lil odd... When the bike locks up - how do you unlock it? Do you have the clutch in or out when this happens? Is it just when you try to start it (if so it may be fine, mine skids a coupla feet when it's cold - gotta just keep pedaling) My first thought would be to double check the tensioner and both the sprocket's alignment, as well as pulling off the chain and checking it for twist and/or binding links...

As for the tank/fuel line/filter/carb connection - I like a build with little room, it's a pain at first when building it but when yer done it looks sweet, often like it's factory. To help you with that tho we'll need a few pics. New members need to make a minimum of three posts before they're allowed to put up links/pics - but that's not much of a chore lol (it's to fend of the evil spam hoards) ;)

Lookin' forward to seein' what you've created

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
Everything seems to be set up properly as the manual described, but when I keep the clutch engaged i can petal for a short period of time (5 seconds or so) then the bike just locks up and stops immediately. I have yet to be able to start the engine, but right now do not know what the issue it.

Chris

I had the same issue. It is likely the clutch cable is not set properly, thus, is not pulled in all the way. Go here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/help-13132.html

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
Also I have been having issues because my Gas tank is so close to my carborator, that its hard to attach the filter in between and keep the fuel line connecting everything as it is a really tight fit. I could really use help on these matters and would appreciate any input.
For the sake of getting a filter on there, you can have a loop in your line.
My fuel line loops, with the filter chamber close to the carb and vertical (this way if there's inconsistency in flow, the chamber acts as a reserve and flow has to actually stop for a good amount of time before I'm affected).

You can do that for now, just to get a filter on and sweat the details later.

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Thank you everyone. I'll try your suggestions. As to what I do when it locks up, I just have to roll the bike backwards just a little bit, and then it will be able to go forward again for a very short period of time. The clutch is engaged the whole time this is happening, as the bike won't even move without the clutch engaged.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Assuming you can't even turn the motor over while pedaling, that's most likely a chain issue - prolly too loose and a binding link, but check the alignment of the sprockets, chain and tensioner too - but be careful, if it is a chain prob - pedaling it can jam it in there pretty bad. If the chain and all seem good, then try the clutch thing. You can usually hear it if the engine is tryin' to turn over. ;)

Last edited:

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Ahhh! I messed up, after trying to put the master link back on the chain, the master link cover broke (that thin piece of metal that locks it into place) Does anyone know the size of the chain? I tried going to the bike shop here but they said that they didn't have it there because how thick the chain was. I bought my bike from zoom bicycles.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
look for a KMC 415H chain, its a large 3/16 in bike chain. used to run them all the time when i was younger and did sprocket stalls and grinds on my bmx. any good LBS should have a master link for you.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
just a side note, master links are prone to breaking. i never use one on my MB of my BMX. i just invested in a good chain breaker, had it for years. 5 pound baby sledge, nail, and a 4 by 4 post.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I found a good replacement chain at Tractor Supply. I Got a #41, and it seems to work better, You can also get a #40 chain tensioner wheel, that helps alot, keeping your chain in line.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not to start the master link wars again - but there really is no conclusive proof that a properly installed master link is prone to failure. Most (if not all) production motorcycles use master links and with today's liability culture that says quite a lot.

With some builds a master link makes it a heck of a lot easier to pull the rear wheel, I'd hate to carry a 4x4 and a sledge hammer with me just in case I got a flat. While I could carry a proper chain breaker - I find it simpler to just have a spare master link in case I drop the lil clip while changing a tire.

Do whatever works for you, but remember - just like with the dreaded chain tensioner, every build is different and any advice needs to hold that into account.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I'd hate to carry a 4x4 and a sledge hammer with me just in case I got a flat.
LOL! Most of the "no master link" enthusiasts seem to miss that point. You can remove the link with nothing more than a screwdriver to fix a chain or flat. In tens of thousands of miles I never had a master link fail.

I suspect those who did simply installed the clip backwards.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Link/no link, tensioner/no tensioner - it seems it's the bike that decides it with maybe a lil Murphy on the side ;)

*shrug* It's so often a case of "whatever works" with these builds.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
you can buy extra master links for a standard 415 chain on thatsdax.com for $1.37 each. keep a few on hand, great cheap insurance.
you can also get a 415 chain there for about ten bucks. i always have a spare.

stay dry

gubba

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Thank you everyone, I got the bike working, its pretty sick! I ended up going without a master link, was a lot of work with this chain but it worked out.

I do not like the chain tensioner provided with the kit, it just seems cheap, had anyone seen a better one online?

Thank you :)

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
I had to leave the bike back at home due to not being able to get it back to college with me. I'll take some pictures once i get it fully working perfectly and hopefully add some sort of headlights and stuff. Thank you everyone :)