What is the proper drill bit should I use to create a pin lock hole on the handle bar

GoldenMotor.com

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Re: What is the proper drill bit should I use to create a pin lock hole on the handle

Personally I would just cut off the stupid pin. All it does is limit your ability to put the grip and kill switch where you want it. There is enough clamp force on the handle to keep it from moving and if there isn't just put a wrap of electrical tape around the bar and that should do it. Drilling into the bars just doesn't make me very comfortable. Just like drilling a frame. Tubes are very strong until you put a defect in them and then they become pretty weak.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: What is the proper drill bit should I use to create a pin lock hole on the handle

I used to remove the little pins until I heard a story about someone who had a small crack in the throttle housing & the whole throttle came off the bars while they were riding!!! No one got hurt, but I'm sure he could've!

I drill 'em now for safety reasons.

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada

Personally I would just cut off the stupid pin. All it does is limit your ability to put the grip and kill switch where you want it. There is enough clamp force on the handle to keep it from moving and if there isn't just put a wrap of electrical tape around the bar and that should do it. Drilling into the bars just doesn't make me very comfortable. Just like drilling a frame. Tubes are very strong until you put a defect in them and then they become pretty weak.
Great suggestion but I had drilled mine...shucks.

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada

I used to remove the little pins until I heard a story about someone who had a small crack in the throttle housing & the whole throttle came off the bars while they were riding!!! No one got hurt, but I'm sure he could've!

I drill 'em now for safety reasons.
Now I don't feel too bad that I drilled mine.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I know of three guys that have had nasty falls for breaking the tab off then having there throttle housing slip off while riding. But I also know a few that do not have it and have never had problems.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

Good point on the throttle assembly falling off, but same applies to a broken handlebar as well. Good maintenance will solve either potential issue.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

if the pin is metal i heat it with my micro torch and pull it out with pliers its like a rivet so when it pulls out makes a bump of melted plastic which actually increases the clamping force. never had a spinning or falling off incident..

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I pull therm out. Lost a throttle because the pin was gone? Did they forget what those screws are for?
:)

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

just replace them with a magura 1/4 twist and call it a day choice of factory ktm not gonna develop a crack and fall off enduro supercross endorocross approved lol

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

It's a good thing these things aren't airplanes.