2 stroke vs 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I would probably go with a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke but that's due to cost. While you can build a 4 stroke setup with a Titan engine and a BMP friction drive for around $350, you run into problems associated with friction drives and you will have a large weed-wacker like engine on the back of your bike. If you look at the more expensive setups, you are looking at spending more than $500.

With a 2-stroke from some place like Thatsdax, you might end up spending close to $300 on everything including tools, but then you have a few extra tools to use in the future. You will also know much better the components of the engine and how to service your bike.

I am a first year college student, and looking for easier transportation I elected to go with a 2 stroke setup. Yes, I've run into a lot of problems getting the engine to work with my bike but I never expected going with a 2 stroke to be easy. I'd rather keep it as a side project since I have limited funds than to go with a 4 stroke friction drive. Friction drives will always have the fundamental problems associated with a friction drive setup--- performance in wet or off-road conditions.

If I had the dough, I would definitely go with a good 4 stroke belt or chain drive but alas I don't have $500+ to drop on a setup like this and I doubt that many college people or those who are looking for cheap transportation do.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
you know yamaha yz490 i had was thee fastest bike i ever had and that being said i have agree with venice because my rd400 was also fast too! so you all have your own opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I've read more then once, longer rides on a 2 could damage the motor. Definitly not on a 4.
i dunno about that. i've had my 66cc 2 stroker for 3 months now, and i ride it everywhere at full throttle, city traffic, idle at lights, etc.

there's a few stretches of road around here where i can go 5 miles in a bike lane without stopping, and i'm raging at 35+mph the whole time.

monday, i rode 10+ miles, stopped for a smoke, rode another ten, got a haircut, 10 more, smoke, then 10 more home.

40 mile round trip, 80 degrees out, at WOT, just to get a haircut.

and that's a pretty normal ride. i've done 80 miles in one day, just raging through backroads all day, again, at WOT.

i keep waiting for this china bomb to explode and take my kneecaps with it, but it just begs for more.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Im going to make a statement here you agree or disagree. You 2 strokers are going to mess it up for us trying to do your heros logic, al gore hates 4 strokers. Were quiet and non invasive plus were non liberal polluting, no bs to feed on.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i see your point. but i raise you this:

if two strokes get banned, 4 strokes will too. it will be all inclusive. something like, "motorized bicycles are a detriment to society and have an adverse effect on the planet's ozone layer."

basically, you'll be lumped in. do you think cops know the difference between a 2 stroker and a 4 putter?

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
I can't see 2 strokes getting banned, at least not here. They have pretty much phased them out of production but banning them is another story when they are already in such short numbers. They put emission laws in on new engines that a 2 stroke just cannot pass (hense the demise of the yamaha dtr125) but a blanket ban is unjustifyable when 2 strokes are usually just the demain of the hobbiest.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, if 2 strokes aren't banned outright, the "80" is actually a 66cc (or thereabouts) so ya can pull the sticker/plate off of it with a pretty clear conscience - there's no way to tell the difference just by lookin' at it... provided ofc that the 49cc 2 strokes are legal ;)

robert1992

Nov 2, 2009
Malta
they are buy my dealer said the 80cc is bigger :S so guys wot do u all suggest
2stroke 50cc...150€
2stroke 60cc...185
2stroke 80cc...200
4stroke 50cc...230
if the 2strokes are the same size im getting a 80cc but still not conviced about 4 stroke...they seem just about as reliable as 2stroke and less powerful.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
are those the same made in china kits as this forum's sponsors are sellin'?

If that's the Euro yer referin' to (150 Euro = 221 US Dollar) - dude that sux :( You have my sympathies! Have ya shopped around?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well - if ya can spring for it - I'd kick out the extra 50€ and get the "biggest" no matter the claimed displacement. Else you'll prolly be tempted to "upgrade" later lol

Which 4 stroke is it he's sellin' - do ya know? I like the 2s for the ease and simplicity, I'm just curious as it seems cheap...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
For the money he wants... prolly yeah - a "good" 4stroke kit usually runs about 400usd (271 Euro) but it looks like he's doin' the same thing they do with electronics and that's just swappin the $ with the € sign which would make it 400€ (about 590usd).

ffs - that's out of this world lol

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Im going to make a statement here you agree or disagree. You 2 strokers are going to mess it up for us trying to do your heros logic, al gore hates 4 strokers. Were quiet and non invasive plus were non liberal polluting, no bs to feed on.

I really love it how when people run out of good arguments, they resort to the "You guys are gonna mess it up for the rest of us" kind of argument... (it's like saying we're evil & you're not)

Why don't you just come right out & call us "smelly satanic lawbreaking 2-strokers who don't give a $h** about the earth? (& God only loves pius 4-strokers) laff

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
so is there a visible difference betwee 50cc and 80cc...dealer said 80cc is bigger but he could be wrong...
Yes... 80cc (really a 66cc) is bigger than a 49cc!
There's no #'s on the engine to mark it as one or the other, but you can tell by looking at them side by side that one is a little bigger than the other.