Sky hawk carb and kit worth waiting for?

GoldenMotor.com

sac '68 sport

Sep 13, 2009
Sacramento
About ready to order a kit for my stretch.

I've narrowed it down to either the Sky Hawk GT5 from Spooky Tooth or the F80 from That's Dax.
From what I can tell from the descriptions the differences are the Carb, the sprocket size by a couple of teeth and maybe the chain tensioner? (tank too but I won't be using the kit tank so that doesn't make any difference for me) Is that all the differences?

I was leaning toward the Sky Hawk, mostly because of the stated difference in the carb. and other statements I've found on here and their site on their QA/QC but they are out of stock right now.

Questions: Is the Sky Hawk carb. really any better than what comes with the Dax kit? Would it give more power and or easier tuning? Are the other components in the kit really any better quality? I'm on no time schedule so as long as it's not 6-8 months or something the time really doesn't matter much and I've read high praise for both vendors customer service on here.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
If it is the HT carb that's been reviewed here there is little advantage over stock. Throat is virtually same size. Built-in cock can be more convenient but probably not worth the extra money. I am very happy with engines from Dax and standard carbs.

sac '68 sport

Sep 13, 2009
Sacramento
I would opt for the F80. The Dax sprocket has a definite advantage over the other kits 44T.
Thanks for the replies.

Do you say the Dax has a sprocket advantage because of quality or because it has less teeth?
I Was also considering getting a replacement sprocket because from what I've read most included in the kits are not the greatest but wanted to run the stock one at first to try and figure out the gearing. Not looking to go 35mph with this one, just for cruising around the block. That being said It's going to go on 68 spoke wheels and I don't want to have to be taking it on and off too many times.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Last I knew thatsdax sold there kits with a 40 or 41 T, a definite advantage over stock for cruising unless you weigh 300 lbs, or live in a very hilly area.

sac '68 sport

Sep 13, 2009
Sacramento
The site says 41 tooth. I'm not 300, a tall 200 though and its going on a stretch cruiser and that thing's got to be 40+lbs. I think the shipping weight was 57 lbs or some such thing. Around my neighborhood is fairly flat, but if I do decide to take it on a short trip to work, (5 miles that I currently do daily with leg power on a flat bar road bike) there are a couple of pretty good hills. My legs think the are fairly steep anyway, not sure I could peddle the stretch the quater mile or so up the big one with its stock gearing. I only average about 10-12 mph up it pedeling the flat bar and my legs are burning at the top.
I also just got an e-mail from Spooky tooth saying that they have the GT5 in stock now too.
Hmmm....something else to consider now.

I think I read somewhere that each tooth off is approx. 1 mph increase in top end. Does that sound about right? Could I also assume that you would need about the same difference/2-4 mph increase in speed at the low end to get started with the smaller sprocket?

Thanks for the input this is all really helpful info. And I thought this was going to be a quick and easy little project.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, you will need to pedal a bit faster for take off or starting, but it's not that noticeable. I have a 36T on one bike and it's just a bit tall for practical use as far as I am concerned.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yes, you will need to pedal a bit faster for take off or starting, but it's not that noticeable. I have a 36T on one bike and it's just a bit tall for practical use as far as I am concerned.
You need one of SBPs tuned pipes on that bike Joe. It'll feel like you're starting off with a 54t.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
If that carb is anything like the one that came with my 48cc skyhawk GT-2b, then it's OK. But I still switched to the NSC carb that they sell separately at spooky and other places. If it comes down to sprocket size, you can get 9 bolt sprockets in a multitude of sizes. Personally I run a 48 tooth and I get 27-28 mph on flat ground. I live in a really hilly area, and I don't have too much trouble getting up the hills.

sac '68 sport

Sep 13, 2009
Sacramento
site says the carb is a "new style" NT designed for the 66 with larger jets and ports and has a secondary fuel shut off, while claiming that other kit carbs are designed for the 48cc. "The power difference is night and day". The NT carb that comes with the kit is not the same as the CNS (NSC?) carb. But at the bottom of their aftermarket upgrades page that has the carbs, it says that they have a 36 tooth sprocket that will give you 10mph without sacrificing torque. So??? As with anything on the web. it's hard to cut through what is just claims and BS and what is facts.
Glad there are forums.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
site says the carb is a "new style" NT designed for the 66 with larger jets and ports and has a secondary fuel shut off, while claiming that other kit carbs are designed for the 48cc. "The power difference is night and day". The NT carb that comes with the kit is not the same as the CNS (NSC?) carb. But at the bottom of their aftermarket upgrades page that has the carbs, it says that they have a 36 tooth sprocket that will give you 10mph without sacrificing torque. So??? As with anything on the web. it's hard to cut through what is just claims and BS and what is facts.
Glad there are forums.
You can't believe everything you read on forums either (NET=Not Everthin's True :)). This carb has been reviewed several times here. While a few excitable individuals talk about huge increase in power the guys that actually measured the throat and took speed readings know better.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
LOL, yes it is "CNS carb", I had just watched and episode of NCIS, can you blame me?

Everything I have read seems to indicate that Dax kits are of better quality. I haven't bought from Dax yet, so I can't really say for sure. But if it means anything, I have already decided that my next engine will be from Dax.

sac '68 sport

Sep 13, 2009
Sacramento
No worries. I thought it just might be the same carb from a different vendor or typo. I go on a Classic Bronco forum and guys are always talking about their pvc valve...

Thanks for the help. I've decided to go with the Dax. From what I've read from searching on here even if the kit isn't better the customer service is top notch, and in the end I think that's more important when buying anything that's coming from China.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just to clear the air here- thatsdax engines are just about the same as everyone elses. The difference is in how the kit is spec'ed out from the factory.
You basicly order X number of kits, then tailor the kits components to the price you want to hit.

thatsdax kits as far as I can tell have (mostly) better components. The customer service IS top notch fo'sho Plus, the slightly smaller driven sprocket is a bonus and the result of a little research done by Duane @ thatsdax.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i make a side income installing 80 kits, i have installed about 20 of them.
All of the kits came with stock 44 tooth sprockets, some flat, some concave.
all of the bikes have good takeoff power and top speeds between 38 and 45 mph. there isn't a hill in town they can't pull.

srat dry
gubba

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i make a side income installing 80 kits, i have installed about 20 of them.
All of the kits came with stock 44 tooth sprockets, some flat, some concave.
all of the bikes have good takeoff power and top speeds between 38 and 45 mph. there isn't a hill in town they can't pull.

srat dry
gubba
huh....38-40....is that an exageration maybe...im not saying they cant get to that speed but those engines cant tack that high with that gearing....i guess im gonna need you to video it for me to believe you...

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
huh....38-40....is that an exageration maybe...im not saying they cant get to that speed but those engines cant tack that high with that gearing....i guess im gonna need you to video it for me to believe you...
I agree. Maybe Gubba likes to leave his speedo in KPH but choses to read it as MPH like I suspect many of the "Fast Eddies" here like to do.