cheap alternator/generator

GoldenMotor.com

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
i have been wanting a light but batteries just don't seem like what i want so a gen/alt
would be better
i know dc brush motors will generate but i don't know if the brushes will last very long
other thing i thought of is putting a couple of coils (not ignition coils regular enamel wire coils)around the flywheel
anything you guys can think of would be great
i'm trying to make this happen as cheaply as possible while still being fairly reliable i don't
want batteries only though

its a center mount weeder bike

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
hi i guess i give it a try go the search button and type cowboy rider he just got done doing a light system for his bike and i think you are going to like it it has a bunch of reliable information that you may like i just gotdoing my lighting system for under 40.00 bucks the only thing i am missing is my chareger but other than that its good to go

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
had searched didn't find much
looked up cowboy riders build but hes just running batteries not really what i'm after

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I have no clue I never even thought of that.
I'll try asking the guy from page 7 that gave the equations for which motor to use.

Also If you go with an electric motor with specs similar to the ones on page 7 like 24v 200w they are easy to find in a wide variety since they are used for electric scooters like Razors.

So what are you running on your bike.
2 or 4 stroke and how do you plan to spin the power source?

I have got a 4 stroke and am using a Firebelly Hardbox(very sturdy by the way). I am unsure of mounting though because Evan just came out with a shift kit for the Hardbox and that would totally change the sproket and mounting location of the powersource.

The only thing I can come up with is to fabricate a custom bracket, mount it on the frame then spin it off of the drive chain and base the rpm's for the power source on my average top speed. Of course I would also suggest a rechargable battery and a voltage regulator.

Last edited:

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
i'm running a 32cc 2 stroke with a belt slip clutch (weedeater was free) running down where the pedals were (yes i know now i can't use the pedals but its iowa so it doesn't matter) then another chain to the old crank sprockets mounted on the rear wheel not real sure of gen mounting thats why i thought i might find an old mag and rewind it to get 12v out of it
still in the process of deciding

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
what kinda top speed do u get out of a weedeater like that?

And if you really want to I beleive you can get a freewheel for the pedal crank so you cans still use the pedals if you are interested.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Would a brushed motor really wear out that fast? The average one is designed to run at 6-10k RPM for a loooong time...

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
one thing you might consider is a permanent magnet motor i would reccomend an old cordless drill motor of at least 12 volts easily found at yard sales i have put out 18 volts with these. spinning them fast but 6 volts is a peice of cake,frank

Luka

Aug 19, 2009
Washington
what kinda top speed do u get out of a weedeater like that?

And if you really want to I beleive you can get a freewheel for the pedal crank so you cans still use the pedals if you are interested.
Could you give me more information about that freewheeling crank ?

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
talk to this guy

tyrslider

That is his username on this site

His name is Evan

He is the guy who made the gearbox Im using and the shift kit that I will use

He uses these freewheels for his shiftkits

Im sure he would be happy to tell you about them

He would probably sell you one too

Good guy to buy from

Luka

Aug 19, 2009
Washington
talk to this guy

tyrslider

That is his username on this site

His name is Evan

He is the guy who made the gearbox Im using and the shift kit that I will use

He uses these freewheels for his shiftkits

Im sure he would be happy to tell you about them

He would probably sell you one too

Good guy to buy from
Thank you.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
top speed im thinking maybe 30 (i welded the 3 pedal crank gears to the rear wheel so it a 3 speed the regular rear gears are too small)
the freewheel would be great for being lawfull but in iowa its illegal if it has a motor
id thought a bought a cordless drill
what i thought of was get an old magneto a rewind it to get a bought 12-15v then use a rectifier there is a web site theotherpower i think they wind generators for wind turbines so they would prolly know a bought how many turns are needed