Can you do a belt?

GoldenMotor.com

mford2

Jun 28, 2009
queen creek
I was just wondering if any body has tried to used a v-belt in place of the chain. I know that there would be some mod-work to do, but I had this MB for one year now and gone though two chains. Also the plastic idler get torn up so quickly. Any ides?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Actually I am going to a belt on one of my builds this winter. I will be using a gear belt (Timeing belt) instead of a V belt. I will probably come off the motor sprocket with a short chain to a jack shaft. Then go from the jackshaft to the rear wheel with timeing pulleys. I want to get away from the long chain on the OCC bikes.

John

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats a even better idea. i have a rear wheel hub, i could make a jackshaft out of it,too bad i dont have money for pulleys and a belt.

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
John
The only problem with the cog type belt is the tension it takes from keeping the belt from jumping cogs. With this amount of tension will the rear wheel be able to take it?

George

mford2

Jun 28, 2009
queen creek
The pulley I was going to get made at my buddy's machine shop. That way the pulley on the motor fits the same way as the sprocket dose. The rear I was going to mod a old water pump pulley from a car.

The timing belt is a good idea since the are rated at 60-80 thousand miles. Let me know how that works out.