Magic Pie built in motor controller + BMS

GoldenMotor.com

lordosiris

Jun 18, 2015
tucson
I'm working on my first build and so far I like the Magic Pie kit from goldenmotor.com. The 48V 20Ah LiFePO4 battery from conhismotor.com looks pretty good but I'm worried about combining the BMS that's included from them with the regenerative braking that would be fed back from the Magic Pie motor controller. I'm thinking perhaps the Magic Pie controller should connect straight to the battery and I won't need a separate BMS. Does anyone know for sure?

TIA

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The BMS is attached to the charging circuit, not the discharge circuit. Yes, you just connect the pie directly to the battery.

lordosiris

Jun 18, 2015
tucson
The BMS is attached to the charging circuit, not the discharge circuit. Yes, you just connect the pie directly to the battery.
so the BMS is only used for charging and the magic pie controller has a low voltage cutoff to protect the battery right? the magic pie controller looks pretty good, i just wanted to make sure it would not overcharge or overdeplete the battery.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
No the BMS controls charging and discharging but it shouldn't damage the pack to use regen braking as long as your MP controller is set to the right voltage. It should work just fine. I wouldn't recommend that battery though. This would be much better http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=459 If you do go with the lifpo4 one make sure your controller is set to 20amps max or less otherwise that battery is not going to last very long. If you want max power, 30amps, get a high c rate pack. I wouldn't even mess with those outdated lifepeice O Craap packs and it does discharge thru it and if you disconnect it your really going to mess it up fast.

Last edited: