Troublesome front sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

willk

Jul 5, 2013
Florida
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to wonderful world of motorized bikes and i already have a problem. If anyone can help with info. or a place i can order parts, please help! I just purchased my motorized bike, used, from a fellow who said it just needed the chain put back on, as the previous one had broken .I bought the bike, and he gave me the new chain which he had ordered and not put on. So when i try to put the new chain on, it fits fine on the back sprocket but not on the front one. He said the chain broke after only 4 hours of use, so i started nosing around, to find that the sprocket that came with the motor is a 10 tooth one, but the chain will only fit for about 2 links before it gets mis-aligned. I had an old 11 tooth sprocket and tried that, and viola! It fit just fine. Problem is, its not the correct sprocket to work, there's no way to mount it and even if i could, there's no clearance inside for the chain . Top of the chain would rub on the case as it wrapped around the sprocket. Is there another sprocket/chain set up to remedy this? Could i buy a jackshaft kit ( which i had planned on anyway )to circumvent the problem, and take advantage of the bikes remaining 7 gears, or because i didn't educate myself enough, am i hosed? Pretty sure this motor set up came from bestbikemotors.com. ( ugh )That's what he said anyway. Thanks again for any info/help or part sales that might get me on the road. I've got the bike bug and i want to ride! Will K. , Bradenton,Fl.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
try grinding/filing the teeth on the 10T until they are pointy enough to fit the chain

(assuming the valleys have proper 1/2 inch spacing)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We can only asume you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine. It always helps if we know what you have before offering advice. My guess is, if you have a Chinese 2 stroke, is that the chain is the wrong pitch (size).

The kit supplied chain is typically a #415 and we always suggest going to a #41 chain. Unless your chain/sprocket alignment is way off the #41 will work on the engine drive sprocket just fine with no modification.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is the chain I run on all my bikes, never had a single issue with it and it should resolve your problem, or as Tom suggested you could also go to a local Tractor Supply or simular retailer and get a length of #41 chain which is wider than the 415 but is good chain also.

chain pitch/size for almost all the bike sprockets is 1/2" x 3/16"

Here is link to great deal on the KMC H415 Chain which is very good chain.

Free shipping on this one: http://www.amazon.com/KMC-415H-3-16-Black/dp/B002DMWEAM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Chain-Single-Speed-Silver/dp/B000C1YPB2

Peace, Map

Hi guys! I'm a newbie to wonderful world of motorized bikes and i already have a problem. If anyone can help with info. or a place i can order parts, please help! I just purchased my motorized bike, used, from a fellow who said it just needed the chain put back on, as the previous one had broken .I bought the bike, and he gave me the new chain which he had ordered and not put on. So when i try to put the new chain on, it fits fine on the back sprocket but not on the front one. He said the chain broke after only 4 hours of use, so i started nosing around, to find that the sprocket that came with the motor is a 10 tooth one, but the chain will only fit for about 2 links before it gets mis-aligned. I had an old 11 tooth sprocket and tried that, and viola! It fit just fine. Problem is, its not the correct sprocket to work, there's no way to mount it and even if i could, there's no clearance inside for the chain . Top of the chain would rub on the case as it wrapped around the sprocket. Is there another sprocket/chain set up to remedy this? Could i buy a jackshaft kit ( which i had planned on anyway )to circumvent the problem, and take advantage of the bikes remaining 7 gears, or because i didn't educate myself enough, am i hosed? Pretty sure this motor set up came from bestbikemotors.com. ( ugh )That's what he said anyway. Thanks again for any info/help or part sales that might get me on the road. I've got the bike bug and i want to ride! Will K. , Bradenton,Fl.

Last edited:

willk

Jul 5, 2013
Florida
Thanks for all the help guys! I have found that i do have a nice quality H415 chain, my local motorcycle shop helped me with that. I have also found a guy within an hours drive, that carries everything in stock, and does Sundays. Needless to say, i will be visiting him tomorrow with my checkbook in my had! lol,.. Again thanks for all the replies, and i have my fingers crossed that he will be able to resolve my issue.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for all the help guys! I have found that i do have a nice quality H415 chain, my local motorcycle shop helped me with that. I have also found a guy within an hours drive, that carries everything in stock, and does Sundays. Needless to say, i will be visiting him tomorrow with my checkbook in my had! lol,.. Again thanks for all the replies, and i have my fingers crossed that he will be able to resolve my issue.
Sounds great willk, keep us all posted on your results for sure.

Map

willk

Jul 5, 2013
Florida
Thanks to Don at motorizedbicycleguy.com in St. Pete, my bike is on the road! He was in my area for the boat races in Sarasota, so i met up with him, got the proper front gear for my 80cc motor and bought an expansion chamber. All for only $35! I tinkered around with the tensioner a bit, so the the chain would line up properly with both sprockets and everything's working great! Thanks again to all those that offered advice and encouragement! Jackshaft kit next week! wooohooo!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks to Don at motorizedbicycleguy.com in St. Pete, my bike is on the road! He was in my area for the boat races in Sarasota, so i met up with him, got the proper front gear for my 80cc motor and bought an expansion chamber. All for only $35! I tinkered around with the tensioner a bit, so the the chain would line up properly with both sprockets and everything's working great! Thanks again to all those that offered advice and encouragement! Jackshaft kit next week! wooohooo!
Hey man thats great.......... glad you got the sucker ginning.......ride safe and have fun. PICS would be nice if possible, we all love to see what someone has done to their bike.

Peace, Map

dnut.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Really curious about what you mean by, "got the proper front gear". Are you saying you replaced the engine drive sprocket with something? I've never heard of the need to replace that sprocket unless it was damaged somehow. What is the difference between the original sprocket and what you replaced it with?

Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
it sounds like he had normal (thick) front sprocket,,,
and he changed it to a narrow front sprocket (I had one from livefast motors a while ago),,,
the narrow one will accept a skinnier chain ;)

or,,,his first sprocket was just a POS laff