really really bad day...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes I got the homelite started but then it threw the muffler off and stopped running again. That's it for me. nothing I did today looks like it is going to be worth a tinker's dam....

My eyes are about shot and my mind isn't sharp enough to keep all the details in mind. The problem is my short term memory isn't able to recover the long term details that most people pull up without even thinking about it. It makes doing these builds almost impossible. So I think I'm going to pack it in before I burn the house down.

The first thing to go is all the gasoline and the engines that use it. I found myself grinding burns and throwing hot metal sparks onto the gas can. I didn't remember it was there, and I didn't really comprehend it once I recognized it.

If I work at all it has to be with something safer than gasoline. It isn't a decision I wanted to make not really. It is something I have known for some time. So guys I'm not sure I will build anymore bikes of any kind. I might try to finish the ebike I have started but nothing else for a while at least. Probably not ever again. I'll keep an eye on the rest of you now and then though. I still have fond memories of all this stuff.

Later

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Deacon- Even if you never build another bike, stay with us and help out when you can. There isn't a person here who hasn't been helped by you somewhere, somehow on this forum.

You advice and wit are priceless.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I have been blown up more then once, Gives you a healthy respect for gasoline. Back off a bit maybe but don't quit. Slow down and think safety first. We all have a bad day, sometimes a bad week, or month:)

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Dude, Take a breath, Grab a beer and sit your buns down on the lounge chair. Sometimes you just have to take a load off. I know how you feel. Engineering, prototypes and working from scratch are all "IN THEORY". We do what we do for the love of working with our hands, challenging the mind, and also for fun. Sometimes it seems that everything falls down at once but there is no other way from there but to Rise UP and Elevate.

Take a break Deac, your not obligated to answer everyones questions or any at all. We are priviledge and very Thankfull to have you there for support, ideas, and consideration. But you come before anyone else. Rearrange the shop, put your thoughts into organization and safety. Make your workplace comfortable for you and then see what comes to mind. I work for myself and i know how it feels when the mind is cramped with so many obligations and frustrations, but Tomorrow is another day and positive energy will attract positive things.

I hope all works out for you Deac, keep your head up.
:)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Deacon, paper and pencil are the memory's best friend.(^)

Write down things to do, things you did, and results that happened.

Maybe you're not multi-tasked, but I mean no disrespect.

JMO, focus on the easiest bike to fix. Get that running, then leave it alone.
That will be your lifesaver, when all other bikes shut down.

Then work on the next easiest bike to fix. Get that running, then leave it alone.

It is NOT easy to maintain a stable of "iron ponies".:ride:

Maybe you should keep your gas supply FAR away from house and garage. I keep distance between the gas can and the bike. The only time the can is near the bike is at fill-up time.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
D- i second and third everyone here who says that your wit and insight are invaluable here. Given the situation I say go for your electric bike and ride the h3ll out of it. Keep us all posted on how the build goes.

I hope that you keep reading this forum as long as you are able and post comments here and there as you please.

You have been the heart and soul of the DIY forum and that is something to be said, you helped to create this section into something more than just a couple of guys talking about whackers into a true online resource for those of us interested into the unholy b@stard child of weedeater and bike. And that is pretty awesome.

now that i've gotten past the sad sop- get yer @ss into that shop do what you've got to do to get that behind back on a bike with a motor. Riding is good for mind and body!

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Me too, I think yours are some of the first posts I look for. You have done more thinking out side the box than anyone. Take some time off and get your mind dreaming of the next idea, I know there is one in there, LOL. Have fun, Dave

PS: What do you think of this? Its the top end off of a Honda 50, think I can make it work. A four stroke Happy Time!

Attachments

Tinker4

Oct 11, 2008
Arizona
Deacon, Don't dispair I'm still a newbe but I enjoy reading your input. Do what 5-7Heaven said to do put it down on paper that will help you to remember. Hang in there baby and take care.(^)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Me too, I think yours are some of the first posts I look for. You have done more thinking out side the box than anyone. Take some time off and get your mind dreaming of the next idea, I know there is one in there, LOL. Have fun, Dave

PS: What do you think of this? Its the top end off of a Honda 50, think I can make it work. A four stroke Happy Time!

I have to ask, Whats pushing the valves? If it's a OHC whats going to turn the camshaft? Did I miss a thread somewhere?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have to ask, Whats pushing the valves? If it's a OHC whats going to turn the camshaft? Did I miss a thread somewhere?
I have to come up with that. I was thinking of a chain drive on the outside of the engine for affect. I think it would work better to use a Honda CF130 top end. And one advantage is that the Chinese have a copy of that engine and a unlimited supply of parts. they are OHC and I could use more of the parts, I have one but it is in a bike, I will look for parts to one out there, I know I have a cylinder but I cant remember if I have a head. Its just an idea. I would like to see if Quinton could have them made, if I can pull it off, I think he has a connection for manufacture. Have fun, Dave

PS: I went out to see if I could find the parts and found another engine, in another bike, I put one in a CT90 bike years ago. I did find a XR70 engine and a pile of CT90 engines and a CM91 engine, all 90cc. Too many 50cc engines to count.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. I said i would stop by now and then. Since I am almost finished with the final bike, I came back to share something because it is important enough to share.

The reason I didn't go on about this bike is thats its just reassembling an old ebike. I gave up building new ones. This is the bike I will be riding in the future for exercise and errands.

It does use one new idea that shoes and I Kicked around last week. It is important enough to share so I'm going to do that now.

The two big problems with DIY friction drive have always been, The stress on the drive shaft, I broke one and At least one other member also has, and the stress on the engine mount. That is what killed all my WW engines.

This little number solves both problems. It probably will even let you use the centrifugal clutch again.

First of all the major thing is the engine or motor no longer hangs off the bike. it is now on the luggage rack. The rack is two L shaped beams about a foot long, for my motor probably a little longer or shorter for the WW or Chainsaw.

To the drive shaft or the clutch bell you attach, weld, or have someone weld it, a pocket bike sprocket or the rear sprocket from a coaster bicycle.

Then on the end of the frame you attach the hub from a wheel. A coaster brake bub is ideal. If you use that you do not have to do anything else. I welded another rear sprocket to the rim of a front hub. I needed one wider than any coaster brake hub I had. You do need to remove the brake arm first. Run your chain and adjust your engine or motor's position and you have it.

Mine is built and I need to test it but it will work there is no doubt. I used a modified version before. The wheel hub as the drive wheel is the component i didn't have before.

If you build it that way, you will end most of the real problems with friction drive. If your engine doesn't have a clutch you just lift the whole mount with your gravity clutch, with electirc motors you don't need a clutch. It's a very minor reinvention of the wheel but it will be important I think.

Ps the coaster brake hub also freewheels when the engine stops pulling ie the centrifugal clutch disengages. I will probably have to at least remount the motor but I hope not. 'also my welding is so poor I expect it to fly apart on the first run. Still the concept is sound.

On a personal note,,, I now have a bike to ride to the coffee shop, or to ride on the bike trail, it is a quiet electric model, and I will be looking for a new venture. I will stop back don't worry, I'm just not going to be building any more new bikes.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I know what you mean about the "new ventures"....I am always looking for one myself, never resting, always searching.

See you in the funny pages!