Driveline reliability.

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
This is why I have been having no driveline problems with The Pig even after so many miles. It took quite a bit of tweaking to get it this straight, but the payoff is trouble-free long term reliability.
The better your chain and sprocket alignment is, the more reliable your bike will be.

Notice the twist in the idler mount which keeps the chain right in the center of the sprocket no matter if the wheel spins forward or reverse. There are no popping or rubbing sounds and very little friction.
Take the extra time to get things lined up like this and enjoy fewer chain issues.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto, ditto, ditto: Like the man said. Get that chain and sprockets aligned, like his, and never worry about chain issues again.

Roller chain will not bend around corners. It is made to run in an absolutely straight line from sprocket to sprocket. Off set either sprocket and you're asking for trouble.

Thanks, Maniac for that photo. Every new builder should see it.

Tom

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Make some shims for your engine and get rid of the tensioner.....Its simple and makes the bike run so much smoother...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I run #40 hd chain. I must run the tensioner due to the bend in the lower frame stay to prevent the chain rubbing the frame. Plus I'm lazy and this is already done.
I have never had a single chain problem since building The Pig and I ride every single day.
This is my only transportation and MUST be reliable if I want to eat.
The reason I get such great results is because I address the areas that matter, and I keep it simple.
Notice there are no "boost bottles" or N.O.S. kits on my builds. No ported cylinders or big bore carbs. No stroker cranks or oversized pistons.
I don't try to go fast on it. That is not what it is meant for.
If I want to cruise at 45mph, I'll build a Morini or stuff a 5spd mini motocross motor in a custom frame.
I don't ask too much of my little china girl so I am rarely disappointed.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I finally upgraded from the kit chain to a #41 chain, it immediately feels so much smoother, so i can agree with you that a good chain properly aligned makes a world of difference. I notice it holds speed (24mph) up hills much better now.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Much less friction and noise when pedaling as well. That box of HD chain was the best $20 bucks I ever spent