My new Build?

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Okay I picked this Scwhinn cruiser up today it's a 26" has side pull hand brakes front and back it is BRAND NEW! I will have to use a frame adapter but that's okay! So....what do you think? It looks like the sprocket will fit right over the hub without needing any grinding! My garage is messy, i know. I'm cleaning that :p So, I'll have a space to work on my newbie! I want this to be the best one I've ever built! EVER! Opinions? brnot

Attachments

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Thanks! I hope it turns out great! I am really hyped up about gettting my kit on here so fedex better hurry! ;) I will post more pictures of it completed and then possibly later customized!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It looks very much like the same frame as was used for the old Jaguar and a couple of other Schwinns like the Southport. If it is it's a very strong frame that will serve you well. It will require some ingenuity to fabricate the front engine mount but it can be done without too much effort. Just don't drill the frame.

Do some reading here on fenders and how to support them better than the factory braces. They can cause you some serious trouble if not mounted better than the factory does. Use the search feature, keyword 'fenders' and there's plenty to read. Bairdco did a sticky on a well thought out modification to the stock fenders.

We'll be watching this build and ask if we can help in any way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, and comparatively? Your garage looks like an operating room next to mine. :)

Tom

Last edited:

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
LOL yeah it was a mess! dad was all like ERRRR ERRRR ERRR RAMMMM NAOOMM! So I cleaned it up :p tools are easier to find when they're scattered on the floor then when you have to dig through doors! :p Anyway, I finished the bike and used the "U Bolt" mount for the thicker frame. I didn't reinforce the fenders yet, I chopped a huge chunk out of the rear for the drive chain to clear cleanly. It runs awesome! I just posted a thread looking for help with my idler because I've built alot of these bikes but have never had this problem :p I'm hoping all works out! The frame is nice and sturdy and the brakes are very heavy duty! This thing mounts solid! i push the motor very hard to the side and it doesnt budge a millimeter it's VERY solid. I can't wait! Send me pictures of your build and what you've done guys, I like seeing different designs and ideas!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations. You did good. On closer inspection I'm certain the frame is the same as the Jaguar. Same front fork, same brakes. The Jag didn't have fenders or a luggage rack.

Don't ride it too much until you do something with the fender braces. You could remove the front fender at least until you beef up the mounts. What happens is the mount at the fork breaks and the fender wraps around the wheel stopping it very quickly with the expected results. They call it a "face plant" into the street.
Otherwise I think you're on your way to a lot of fun.
Ride safe and good luck.

As for other member's bikes, most have an photo album on their profile page. Just click on their user name and select 'View Public Profile' then look for their album.

Tom