Huffy as a personal ride...experiences?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Think outside the box. There are other wongmart bikes available (and better stuff at Target in my opinion). Also there are other motors besides happytimes.

#1 Poster, I have a Schwinn Avenue hybrid. I would buy another one for a cheap commuter bike. It's fun to ride and looks pretty nice. I have ridden it offroad as a mountain bike before I motorized it. I would recommend it for rack-drive/friction drive use (no center-frame engines). It came with a suspension seatpost, v-brake combo shifters/levers, and 3x7 drivetrain, low end stuff but reliable.

I had to disassemble all bearings, re-pack with real grease, and upgrade the tires and tubes (fatter tires, thicker tubes).

The stock seat was one of those big cushion seats, so I replaced it. The stock adjustable stem was flexy, so I swapped it with a $10 solid stem from bike shop leftovers.

I've replaced the freewheel for personal preference (13-34), and plan to replace the chain when needed with an upgrade chain.

All is well!

The nickname the Cranbrook has earned here is Cranbroke. Doing a search here for cranbrook will turn up a LOT of posts about that bike. Is there really a need to start yet another thread discussing a bike that has been discussed here so many time?!?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Also, if you are specific to Huffy as a brand and not just meaning "generic walmart bicycle", there are a few more makes of Huffy adult bikes, carried online for all stores, and in some stores. There are more than just Cranbrooks.

I really recommend you replace the stock wheels with a heavier duty wheel, especially the rear for chain drives. And remove or reinforce any fenders. Repack all bearings and cinch down any axle nuts or locknuts well with lock-tite. Throw the stock chain in the scrap bin. Then you should be able to make it go for quite a low budget price. Good luck.

Huffy Granite v-brake rigid steel mtn bike, $100, FREE SHiPPING
http://i.oodleimg.com/item/3035882881u_1x424x360f?1341251694

Huffy Rival mtn bike $125

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...JcAfMDoTflqsCkHCQQaA8kHfPfh5RpOVY6o6ix7B558Yg

Huffy Nel Lusso $125
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/89/14/56/0002891456561_300X300.jpg

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Maurtis.. I read your entire post on the Cranbrook weld.issue. enjoyed your sense of humor too. Hey, what would be your beach cruiser of choice taking into account quality and price?
LOL, thanks!

If I were going used and trying to keep the price down, I would get a 70's American steel cruiser. Old enough to still be good quality but not so old to be collectible. We see AMFs and Schwinns from that era around here for $50 - $70 in fair shape. Easy enough to strip and repaint and put on a good set of 12g wheels. You can probably get them cheaper by cruising swap meets, but I did all my searching from the comfort of my chair on CL.

If I were going new, I would spend a little extra and go with the Nirve B1. I think that bike has great lines (but HATE the handlebars) and would look stellar with an in-frame tank replacing the metal plate between the top bars. I have heard good things about Nirve quality, and I spoke with them about the quality of the B1 since it was one of their lower priced frames (usually sells for $250 on Amazon, I have seen them as low as $200 and I can get them locally). They said the B1 rolls off the same assembly line as their higher priced frames and is the same quality. I personally saw some of their higher priced frames in a local shop and they looked very well built. If I were to build another in-frame motor bike, I would rock the B1 and an in-frame mounted tank and eventually change the bars to low rise or no rise bars, layback seat post, and a monark or triple tree front end with a drum or disc brake.

Or if I was not concerned as much with budget, a Felt with a gas tank in the frame, like biknut's Deep 6. Gorgeous.

But then again, if you are not dead set on a beach cruiser style bike, there are always older hard tail mountain bikes. I personally do not like the way motors look in newer mountain bikes with the slanted top bar, but think one would look great in an older 90's 20"+ frame with a straight top bar. Along with some pull back bars and a layback seatpost, might be a nice looking ride! I picked up a 1993 KHS Montana Summit with a 21" frame that I use as my pedal bike for $40 off CL. It was missing a seat and seatpost, so a $7 seat post from my LBS and a spare Huffy Cranbrook seat and she rolls like a dream. But today I picked up a 1998 Cannondale F400 for $90 to be my new pedal bike, so my KHS can get an electric hub motor after Christmas. Starting with 48V, but will probably end up at 72V before long...

Last edited:

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
Well to start off I have a b-1 cruiser and I can say that the frame is very well made! The only things I would change is the front break and possibly the bb, cranks and the rearhub..
its a very smooth ride compared to other cruisers I've built.

Ok back tho the topic at hand..
huffy's- I have an old huffy mountain bike from the 90's that has lasted about 4 years so far.. its a nice steel frame! That's a plus in my book! Like every one has said before the stock rear wheel broke within a year. A needed up grade asap in my book to avoid in needed headaches..
parts list:

New rear hub( nu vinci n171), new front end ( suspension fork with disk break), and a shift kit( cranks/ bb)...
there are a lot more up grades but these r the ones done to the bike..

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The wheel will make squealing or squeaking noises, possibly, then you will have noticeable drag, and eventually it will sieze.

Best to disassemble any new wheel, lock the cones and locknuts with light threadlock or nail polish, and pack chock full of heavy duty high temperature grease.

How can you tell if the bearings blow out? I know...dumb question. Maybe I will get moved back to newbie..