Like KW Machine's chain tensioner but it won't fit. Alternatives?

GoldenMotor.com

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I really like this chain tensioner from KW Machine but it doesn't fit on the steel frame Felts like the Felt MP. I could make fitted shims to make it work but I don't think it will work so great. Is there anyone who sells something like this that mounts on a a slimmer wheel stay? The one from Ridely won't work either since I'm using a 62 tooth sprocket.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The best way is to not use any chain tensioner at all!
This is a very old picture of my first Felt Slater... It has Ampt engine mounts in this picture (they were terrible)! :(
I now use KWM engine mounts & add my own 'chain tensioning shims' behind the engine to slightly move it forward to tighten the engine chain. ;)

Here's the shims that I use between the rear engine mount & the engine case... You can easily make your own.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I need this for the chain to stay clear of the lower wheel stay. Your 2 stroke motor can be mounted higher and use a smaller wheel sprocket. With my predator 99 cc 4 cycle w/ jackshaft and 62 tooth wheel sprocket my chain rides very close to the frame. I picked up a chain last night and checked out the alignment of everything. I'll drill the holes to mount the engine and get everything together tomorrow. I have tensioners on the wheel axle so I'll see if I can get away with no tensioner on the wheel stay. If I need to I'll take the time to make good spacers to make the KWM tensioner fit.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You didn't mention that you were using a 99cc 4-stroker. :/

If all else fails?, you can always use a stock roller tensioner & cut off the bottom part of the steel bracket (that bolts to the frame), & weld the top part to the frame so the roller in perfectly in line with the chain. (This is what i do on all of my 4-stroke Isla Vista bikes). ;)

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I fit some nice groves spacers and it's mounted firmly and in line now. I'm wrapping up a few last things and should have it finished and posted here with 2 weeks.