1941 Elgin flea market find

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Zoomin' around on the ebike yesterday doin' not much other'n trying to dodge the occasional rain shower, for some reason I decided to stop by a local flea market - one I normally avoid as there's not much interesting there & what there is tends to cost waaaay more than it outa *shrug*

'Cept this time it seems as I spotted a suspicious springy seat peepin' out of a pile, so I wandered o'er to see & sure enough there was an old Elgin attached to it, fatty fendered, skiptoothed & all! Covered in neglect & house paint it was missing it's pedals, fork struts, dropstand, headlight, tank & rack, but the frame solid & fenders surprisingly intact and unsmashed - I figured I might as well ask & see what they wanted for it.

...and ended up transporting a bicycle with a bicycle all the way home again lol, which as many here prolly know, isn't as hard as it sounds. The tires flatter than month old roadkill, I tied off the Elgin's front wheel to it's down tube to keep it from flopping about, attached my duffel bag's shoulder strap to the neck & seat post & hoisted it up with the handlebar resting on my ebike's rack - hit the throttle & I was off, I wasn't leaving this 'un behind.

As I rode, I couldn't help but think what an interesting contrast the two bikes provided, the 70 year old crusty cruiser alongside my brandy new high tech ebike & chuckled, as did everyone I passed and every car that passed me the entire ten mile trip back, I'd have gotten riled by all the attention if it wasn't for the big smiles & thumbs up - I dunno which they liked more, the ol' bike or they way it was being transported.

Ofc, though I'd been riding all day and had successfully managed to avoid the scattered showers - this time not only did I get caught it rained buckets, then stopped mere moments after I got home, as is the way of some summertime thunderboomers *shrug* It was a warm rain though so I enjoyed it & best yet it rinsed a good buncha the funk off'n the Elgin for me... not nearly all of it, but a goodly amount;

No ider what I'm gonna do with the thing as of yet, I'm just pleased it's tucked away safe & keepin the Rollfast & Stokvis company in the "ol' folks" corner of my shop lol

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...after a buncha thought, I think I'm just gonna hang this one up & wait till I can get my hands on an old hit and miss single like a Maytag washing machine motor, a Villiers or w/e. I was seriously considering converting my Rollfast - but with this Elgin here now & just waiting for a motor, I don't have to lol

Defo gonna keep the skiptooth sprockets, chain & the Musselman coaster brake setup this time around, somewhat surprisingly the chain is in great shape, so why not I figure...

Last edited:

Banjoben

Aug 12, 2012
N.Y.
Nice. Looks strikingly similar to the Western Flier I recently picked up, and am getting ready to put a Maytag motor on.
Mine has a Bendix coaster brake, and that is a neat local link for me, as they were made in Elmira N.Y., about 8 miles from me. I have grandparents who worked at the Eclipse factory before, during, and after the War. It's possible my coaster brake went through their hands on it's way to the bicycle factory.
Love the story of how you got it home. I'd have loved to have seen that.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Go Maytag ! I wonder what the proper size and shape expansion chamber for one of these lil beasties would look like....would just one work since both cylinders inhale at the same time ?

Banjoben

Aug 12, 2012
N.Y.
Good question. I have no idea. The original exhaust is just straight-pipe. But they were only ever meant to run at one RPM. I don't know much about expansion chambers, but I bet a go-kart or Dirt bike forum would have an idea.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barely,
Great find and in pretty nice condition considering. Fenders and chain guard are not mangled and I like that just reversing the 7 seat post gives a kind of lay back post. You know the soft spot I have for Elgins... they came up with some wonderful bike designs.

And I'm glad to hear you're going vintage with the engine. I'm in the middle (well, past middle by now) of a 1934 Elgin step through build using a 98cc Villiars midget engine. I think it's going to work out nicely. Harry 76 says it will only rev out to around 1600 RPMs, so I'm utilizing an SBP shift kit with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub. I have to order some carburetor parts from England before I can start it up to hear it putt putt. Can hardly wait.

I'm also getting close to riding my Indian Hiawatha which has a 1934 Fitchell & Sachs engine with a two speed tranny. Not a putt putt engine, but a 98cc motorcycle engine meant for a light motorcycle. I mention it as another candidate for your Elgin. I love the old motors. You have plenty of time to stare at your Elgin and come up with a plan. And who knows what cool old motor is waiting for you to find at another flea market or farm auction. What fun, eh?
SB