Pusher Trailer Possibility

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
wayne z,
I too was thinking about o fusing it for some storage & utility. I may want to 1st get one of those 4L rear fuel tanks to extend my range & get between 130-150 miles between fill-ups. Then possibly a basket. I was also thinking of some coroplast sheet to make it a rolling billboard...lol
Before I buy the fuel tank, I wanna see how it rides & if I'm gonna like it enough to invest more time & energy into this trailer. So far I spent around $150 on materials (I already had the engine, transmission & bike).
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok,
I finally got to take it for a few test drives today & came up wit a few observations.
1) Its too light, the rear drive wheel bounces around, there isn't enough weight on it to keep the tire from spinning. When I goose it, it just spins the tire too easily.
2) Handling over 25 mph is scary... (tail wants to wag the dog)
3) I dont like pusher trailers.
So, I guess I should have quit while I was ahead after making the 1st one & coming to the conclusion that it wasnt for me. Now I go & build a better mousetrap only to realize it still isn't for me.
LOL...story of my life...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Well,
I now got a bunch of aluminum to use for my next project.
I was thinking of using the pillow block bearings with 1/2" shaft & one of my extra BMP rollers to create a pulley driven rear friction drive with the engine center mounted & using the angle aluminum in 4 planes to create a channel & hook it up to the seatpost mounted stem/hub for the up & down. Hmmmmmm
-lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cb2,
Thanks for the link. The pillows mounted on their own angle pieces is perfect. I already disassembled the whole pusher today & couldnt believe how quickly it came apart. Wish they went together as quickly...lol
I may still go v-belt to the same rear pusher wheel instead of friction...not sure yet...We'll see how it goes.
-Lowracer-

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
my single wheel pusher is really stable at speed, only in the 20's, it dig wag it's tail, then I checked and Tightened the mount on the seat post. No slop, no wag... i'll be able to post a pic now that I have made this post. lol

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
My pusher trailer is now ancient history, & I won't be building another. It would have made a better unpowered trailer for hauling stuff behind the MB. Thinking back at the build & what I would have done differently to make it a better driver would be:
1) Use a lower powered engine. (PB Stage2 has way too much power for a lightly loaded rear wheel)
2) Use heavier framework (the lightweight 1/4" aluminum put very little weight on the rear wheel.
3) use a smaller drive wheel (20" BMX size or less, my 26" MTB wheel was a bit large)
-Lowracer-

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
BigBlue,
This trailer tracked well without wagging while being towed at all speeds.
When I switched to push mode (using the engine), the trailer got unsafe at speeds over 20 mph. Motorcycle trailers are tow behind & not powered to push. Pushing changes the dynamics.
-lowracer-