am i on the right path?

GoldenMotor.com

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
from sweden!? have a couple of newbie stuff here.building a btr in another thread on the forum and it started when i remembered we had an old cultivator in god cond.-stripped it,-"glass"blasted all the castings and the only thing i see is the exhaustvalve is a little worn but nothing else really. planning on buying a +0,25 piston,new rings (to fix the comp.),new valve,new seals and cut off the uneccessary length off on the "drive axel" aka cam.going to keep the pullstarter i think but WOULD really need some help in the carb and govenour dep.
like to replace the oem with ex. a williers carb. but then there is the linkage for the gov.and the magic 3800 rpm since its a all alu and not a I/C engine.what's a poor carpenter to do?scratg

Attachments

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
from sweden!? have a couple of newbie stuff here.building a btr in another thread on the forum and it started when i remembered we had an old cultivator in god cond.-stripped it,-"glass"blasted all the castings and the only thing i see is the exhaustvalve is a little worn but nothing else really. planning on buying a +0,25 piston,new rings (to fix the comp.),new valve,new seals and cut off the uneccessary length off on the "drive axel" aka cam.going to keep the pullstarter i think but WOULD really need some help in the carb and govenour dep.
like to replace the oem with ex. a williers carb. but then there is the linkage for the gov.and the magic 3800 rpm since its a all alu and not a I/C engine.what's a poor carpenter to do?scratg
p.s ooo forgot,, it s a ordinary B&S 5 hp.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hi,
Yes, I think you are on the right track. I would like to direct you to this forum . They have a section that is exclusively about Briggs engines. There are also quite a few Gokart forums that have briggs sections as well.

As far as rebuilding the engine, there is a bunch of stuff you can do. If you want to spin the engine faster than 3,000 rpms, you can remove the governor assembly inside the engine (the plastic gear and its related parts). You can then plug the linkage hole with gasket sealer, or tap the hole and install a bolt. This will bring max rpms to around 5,000. If you do remove the governor, it is recommended to install a billet connecting rod. These are made by ARC racing and cost $70 or so. You can also buy different cams producing more horse power, if you did this you would need to get stronger valve springs. Also, you should sand down the hard edges of the intake port
in the 9:00 to 12:00 (like on a clock) area of the port where it flows into the chamber. This helps air/fuel flow into the block.

For the carburetor, I use a briggs down draft carb, but you can fit up a 22mm mikuni carb with a custom intake pipe. People also fit tillotson carbs on these, but I can't remember the number. Here is a link to my build. In post #54 there is a close-up of the engine showing the briggs down draft carb.

Hopefully msrfan will chime in on this thread, he knows everything about these engines. If you haven't already looked at his builds, you should. He has four or five in this section, they're all briggs bikes. Here is a link to one of his builds.

If you have any more questions or need links to any of those briggs-related forums, let me know. I love these little engines.

Gilbert

Last edited:

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
hello Harley and thanks to Gbrebes! as we say in sweden i now got a little more meat on the bones for this.Looked at diff. forums reg. Briggs and i know im on the right way so when i got some more photos and the project is really on the way i`ll start a new thread under this forum. Yesterday i ordered the briggs oem parts (crank,cam sealings,rings).then i took the engine with me to work for a little evenings work.i started with the block and cut off any unecessery little alu.parts here and there,since we have some useful machines
i did something about the "eyebrows" in the same time(lets see if it works).Then the top got the same treatment,saw and grind.i will order an ARC rod but keep the oem piston,grind down the oem flywheel flat! try to find a 22mm villiers carb. at the next nostalgia market we have here.

got some pictures to leave the mobile this time:

Attachments