Predator 99 V's Honda gs120

GoldenMotor.com

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
Ambitions and plans all changed x-mas day when the indigenous decided they deserved my bike more than I did. My fault for leaving it unlocked while i ate my dinner.

So a new bike must be built.

So having decided to go 100cc the predator 99 was an obvious 1st look. wanting a point of comparison I also looked at Honda. now the gx100 is not built like the predator but is like a big gxh50 with all the upgrade limitations inherent with this design. Never the less, comparing the the specs of the 2, Honda comes out with a 20% torque advantage. I think you would feel that.

The GX120 came into view, for a few reasons. Same design layout as the predator99 & very close in size, it is cheaper than the GX100, performance parts abound from mild to wild! and a quick look at the specs reveal a torque monster. 33% more torque than the P99 at all times with peak torque advantage of over 50%. this should would be good climber & low rpm cruiser.

Pricing
I am in Australia & contacted HF for a shipping estimate, their response is somewhat cryptic in that they said they do not export gas products, discounts or coupon codes are not valid, but shipping would be $155. This makes the predator99 a $295 engine to get to my door. the Honda gx120 i can find for $300 plus $95 shipping. So for me the Honda is only a $95 premium over the predator.

So for me, pound for pound the gx120 is 33% more expensive but 33% more torquey & the Honda reliability is free.

thoughs anyone?

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Honda makes the most reliable engines on the planet. Harbor Freight sells the lowest quality stuff on the planet. Every other point is moot.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
In your situation with the cost of shipping Id opt for the Honda @ basically a hundred bucks more. Agreeably Honda makes fine engines. In our part of the world where a Preddy cost $89 and shipping is something like $7 its kind of a no brainer. I have two 79cc and one Preddy, and no problems from either. The Preddy is perfect for a viable road capable MB-legality another matter. I live in a very hilly area and have plenty of torque to climb most any thing out there with authority. For the cost differential the Preddy wins. These engines have shown themselves pretty well hanging together in high rev situations in MBs and karts. Time will tell.

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
I have nothing against Chinese stuff, most of the bad cheap stuff is made to a "cheaper" request by the westerners who import it. from what i can tell the predators seem fine. blows my mind when you think, you can have an 4-stroke, HF make money... shipping company make money... manufactures makes money... resource company makes money... & all for under a C note! anyone who owns an apple product can testify that china make the good stuff too, apple is a marketing company & the only thing "apple" make is TV commercials (probably the most effective & best that have ever existed), but almost all their hardware is made in china from OEM parts (case aside, chinese but not OEM). China will soon have the the most advanced space program too.

For some reason shipping out of US is crazy expensive, i paid 23 euro (about $31us) for a whole bicycle via DHL from Germany to Australia, but a tiny 99cc engine is $155 from US to Australia. This must have a significant effect on any US retailer trying to compete in the world market.

I am hoping i can use/adapt the agk predator jack shaft assembly. what rpm does their clutch engage at, with 5+ ft/lb at 2k rpm i would think there would still be usable torque at 1500rpm. i would like a lazy low rpm clutch engage point.

does any body out there have any idea what rpm the gx120 idles at?

I have a rohloff hub on my pugsly but i am not prepared to put that hub behind an engine, are there any 3 speed hubs out here that have done some real miles behind a 4-stroke.

would love to achieve 50kph cruise at under 4000rpm

arand18

Jan 13, 2012
Brisbane
Nice build I live in QLD and would love to build a bike with a 99cc engine in it but there is no way I would be able to ride it becouse if the cops sore me they would be righ on to me.