Shift kits questions

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
hi i have a MB road bike and am very interested in them shift kits from sickbikeparts, and other sites, i have several questions

-are they worth the 150 so dollars?
-will i be able to accelerate fairly quicker since i can start on higher gears while keeping a high top speed since ill have my lower gears to use?
-avg install time
-your guys top speeds youve hit with them.
- and your experience with them, like em? not worth it? xct2

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
hi i have a MB road bike and am very interested in them shift kits from sickbikeparts, and other sites, i have several questions

-are they worth the 150 so dollars?

No, get the more expensive one with the heavy duty freewheel. the standard freewheel will eventually fail.

-will i be able to accelerate fairly quicker since i can start on higher gears while keeping a high top speed since ill have my lower gears to use?
Yes, faster acceleration and good top speed

-avg install time
Depends....spent most of my time figuring out a way to extend the engine mount.

-your guys top speeds youve hit with them.

Varies, depends on many variables.

- and your experience with them, like em? not worth it? xct2
Yes, worth every penny especially with a centrifugal clutch.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
A shift kit is worth every penny.

The best of both worlds are its hillclimbing abilities and its highway speeds.

Then there's the fun factor of shifting gears...xct2

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
it is worth every penny. they have the simplest system out there. fewer parts means less stuff to fail. i did a zoom kit and took several days to get it together. i ended up unhappy with all the modding it took to get the zoom kit to work and got the sbp kit. had it together in about an hour. might i suggest doing their hd kit. the freewheel will be more durable.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
dam you guys convinced me, i thought it was gunna take days to install, and the only bad thing is im gunna need another bike because i dont have at least 1 and a half inch clearance from my frame and rear tire. so either new bike or smaller rear tire

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
another question!

since you have to be pedalliing to start the engine, wouldnt that mean it would shut off when you let off the throttle since the engine doesnt spin with the wheel, it spins with the chain, and if your not pedalling while cruising and you get off the gas shouldnt the engine stall?

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
ino but does that mean you have to hold the clutch whenever your not giving it throttle? even at high speed?
cause im used to just holding the clutch when im stopped or at under 10mph

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No need for a couple reasons. Bike will still freewheel when coasting (rear freewheel) also at speed momentum will keep you going.

Honestly, it's somewhat like a motorcycle, just with a freewheel.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
oh ok, thanks alot, also do you know if you can take off from a dead stop if you were in 1st gear? or would you need to give it some pedal?

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
alright sick, you have a shift kit?
how long was the install? cause i was overlooking the installation manual and it looked pretty difficult. im planning on buying a mountain bike with disc brakes and rigging it to it. cause im running a singlespeed road bike now and the ride is brutal, one ditch and i feel like my rim is gunna snap

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
alright, im an auto technician so i do believe i have some sense.
and on sickbikeparts it says sold out on all the kits. and do i need the HD kit if i have a slant plug? i dont understand why

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
alright, im an auto technician so i do believe i have some sense.
and on sickbikeparts it says sold out on all the kits. and do i need the HD kit if i have a slant plug? i dont understand why
Yes it says sold out, we actually have them in stock now and you may order now - we are keeping the sold out sign up, because we will be sold out again by the end of today. After that we will be out of one part for about a week. Our piece part suppliers can't seem to keep up.

So again, you can order now and it will ship ASAP.

You need the HD kit - It's about the Freewheel. The standard FW will not hold up to starting the 66cc engine or raised compression. Sometimes the standard FW lasts OK, but generally the standard freewheel will fail with larger engines and in particular if the compression is increased, such as is the case with the slant plug. Our warranty won't cover you if you order a standard kit with a slant head or 66c+ engine.

Thanks!

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i had a standard freewheel and it worked for 3 starts. Save yourself the trouble of having to pull a blown up freewheel off of the crank arm.