Schwinn Searcher-Sike Bike Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
Schwinn Searcher-Sick Bike Shifter Kit

Hi, I am pleased with the performance of this bike with gears now! I started out with a 48cc engine and it just didn't have enough low end. I changed the small sprocket on the crank side to a nine tooth and it helped a lot. But, I still had to keep the rpms up. I changed the engine to a 70?cc off another bike. I left the nine tooth sprocket on and the pulling power was awesome. The left bearing plate crawled out to the end of the shaft enough that it bent the plate. This also happened on the right side but not enough to bend anything. I straighted the bearing plate and put it back on. I bought a longer 5/8" shaft and installed an extra locking collar on the left side. I put the 10 tooth sprocket back on. Since then it has been an incredible ride with no problems. I rode 20 miles yesterday morning without incident. It has seven gears and I use them all. I only have about 75 miles total on the engine and it runs 35mph+ now. It registered 43mph once but I think it was slightly downhill. (^)

Attachments

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Nice job and good solution to your problem. We have not experienced this before. Under a maximum load, 1st gear and super steep hill, I can maybe get my shaft to walk maybe 1/16" but no way would it come out. I wonder if your alignment of your small sprocket to the chainring was a little off. I usually set mine an 1/8" to a 1/4" outside the chainring. This accomplishes 2 things. Under load it will want to pull the shaft back straight, to the left. It will also increase the clearance between the 2 chains which on some bikes can be pretty close in top gear. Glad you are having fun with it, shifting is so cool.

BTW did you have any clearance issues with the pull start?

i-paint

May 24, 2008
Re: Schwinn Searcher-Sick Bike Shifter Kit

It is possible and maybe even probable something was out of line with the sprockets. The right side I believe was from speed shifting I guess you would call it. The left side pulled out going up my driveway which is pretty steep. I was impressed with the way it pulled in 1st gear though. I had to bend the left side crank a little. i put it under a rug on my garage floor and hit it with a sledge hammer!

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Good job with the hammer, I will be sure to put that in the instruction manual(^)
Speed shifting is not recommended. Broken chains, bent rear axles and failed rear freewheels can all be expected under those kind of loads. Remember we are asking a lot out of these bike components. Discretion is the better part of valor, or something like that.

Last edited:

i-paint

May 24, 2008
Re: Schwinn Searcher-Sick Bike Shifter Kit

The thrill of it all. I guess nothing comes without a price.

Last edited: