FS elite cruiser build ... and random engine mounting questions....

GoldenMotor.com

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Hello out there... This is the first post of build on my FS elite cruiser. ( yes, I already did the into post, following the rules).

The pics attached show the bike as Stock , then the second shows the engine and tank mocked up on the bike....

So far so good , except .... The engine is the 48cc grubee , my only gripe is that the case bolts ( for engine mounting) are really short. It fits the frame just fine, but there is barely any length on the threads to put the nut on???

Should these be longer ? did I maybe get the wrong size from the factory ??

OK , I will post more as it goes along....

Great Site !!!! Can't wait to ride !

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When you say the bolts are too short I have to assume you mean for the front engine mount. Your bike appears to have a larger diameter downtube which might require a longer stud/bolt to give you enough clamping action. It would be better if we had a better, close up picture of the front mount to offer more accurate advice. Just a word of caution. The engine saddle mounts MUST snuggly fit the diameter of the frame. Often that requires some grinding to get the proper inside diameter and angle of the mount.
Tom

Last edited:

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Hmmm , its actually the rear mount. The front mount since the tube was too large , I used the universal mount that came with the kit and it fit fine. The rear mount however ( seat tube) is smaller. It perfectly fits the mount that came on the engine. However , the bolts are too short. If I put the washer , lock washer and nut on ( as supplied by kit) I can barely get the nut on. It will go on about half way, but there are no threads showing. If the bolts were about half inch longer it would be perfect .... Do people change out these case studs ????

This is my first experience w/ these little engines.... I am a hot rod guy , so I have the tools and what not.

2door , you avatar is nice ! That is what I have been into for about 8 yrs. I have a 1969 rat rod vw. Flat black , red rims , white walls , barebones interior / dash...

Good deal , I'll take some pics of the MB 2mrrw and update the post ...

Thank you ....

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Hmmm , its actually the rear mount. The front mount since the tube was too large , I used the universal mount that came with the kit and it fit fine. The rear mount however ( seat tube) is smaller. It perfectly fits the mount that came on the engine. However , the bolts are too short. If I put the washer , lock washer and nut on ( as supplied by kit) I can barely get the nut on. It will go on about half way, but there are no threads showing. If the bolts were about half inch longer it would be perfect .... Do people change out these case studs ????

This is my first experience w/ these little engines.... I am a hot rod guy , so I have the tools and what not.

2door , you avatar is nice ! That is what I have been into for about 8 yrs. I have a 1969 rat rod vw. Flat black , red rims , white walls , barebones interior / dash...

Good deal , I'll take some pics of the MB 2mrrw and update the post ...

Thank you ....

Swappin out the studs seems the easiest solution. I've used long set screws for studs at times (hot rod days). I like being able to set them with an allen wrench. Of course, I'm talking US threads here but I guess you can find them in metric, too.

Always good to see streetrodders/volksrodders on here. I've done both ... (wait, that didn't sound quite right!!) .... Anyway, have a couple projects in the wings.

Last edited: