Murray Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

azdriver

Jun 10, 2010
valley of the sun
About a month ago I put together my first motorbicycle- an old Ross cruiser. It was really like a Mountain bike without any of the good parts of a mountain bike (suspension, etc) So, I decided to pick up a cruiser off of craigs and do it up right. The 48cc GT5 had proven itself in the ross for 235 miles so I just transferred it over to the Murray. This would be my first coaster brake bike since the 16" wheeled raleigh BMX I had 28 years ago.

Here she is as a virgin:

And Motorized:

One reason I went with the cruiser was to get the Shimano Coaster Hub which is compatible with an in stock! Manic adaptor. I hated the rag joint and really wanted a better setup. It's worth it and I have no regrets. Pirate shipped it out (w 40t sprocket) super fast and even sent some Halloween candy in the package.

I also reindexed the clutch arm so that the pull angle is mo' better. Made a huge difference in the clutch effort.

I went with a Northern Tool #41 chain for this build. I wanted to ditch the tensioner but after I cut the chain I found it was not going to work without the tensioner so reluctantly I put it back on (w some better bolts from the tool bin).

I might go with a springer fork, I definitely want to upgrade to V or disc brakes in front. I have some beefy alloy rims on order and will get those swapped over fairly soon.

Riding impression is that the bike rides smoother than the ross- might be frame flex who knows. Cruising rpms are much better with the 40t sprocket.

brnot

Last edited: