Fixed a small muffler leak = Engine won't run properly

GoldenMotor.com

tullyamo

Aug 29, 2010
Washington
I have a grubee skyhawk g5, installed it a few days ago, found a small muffler leak on the bottom side where the muffler and motor come together. It had blown away the gasket it in that spot. I have rode this bike during break in for almost 20 miles and my wife was the one that noticed the exhaust come out at the motor and muffler junction. I fixed it by replacing the gasket and tighting the bolts on. Take it outside, pedal, engage clutch, turn throttle, and ... jump jump jump sputter sputter complete stop. After many attempts this evening, I have no clue what I did to cause this. I tried messing with the carburetor and had no such luck. Before I fixed the exhaust leak, this would get up and go, I didn't have a single problem with it other then it was really loud. The muffler being fixed seems to have taken a lot of the noise out.

I have posted a few pictures to help with this problem. I have a question about the carb as well.

What do I do with the tubes on the carb that are coming off the nipples on it>?

Attachments

tullyamo

Aug 29, 2010
Washington
A brief update, this morning I checked the sparkplug it seems fine, the wiring and it is all connected, and the fuel hose which doesn't appear to be clogged. Got the bike on the road, disengaged the clutch, and it started very choppy, ran for about 10 seconds then quit. I pedaled faster it again was choppy, ran for 30 secs and quit. This time during running, it spun itself up to a higher rpm then just died. I tried again this time disengaging the clutch and just twisting the throttle. I couldn't get it to crank out very high rpms. The bike was coasting the motor died with the clutch disengaged. Repeated this several times each with the motor dying after I stopped twisting the throttle. Any ideas?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Some of these exhaust pipe came with a catalytic converter in them . There have been reports of the pipe clogging up. Try it once with the pipe off is my guess. Also blow through the pipe to see if it is restricted. Some folks have had luck getting the converter out.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I had muffle problems and then all the meddling with the engine broke my plug wire on the cdi end, if you have not changed your plug wire to nice automotive one like every suggests, I would reccommend checking for spark and if you have none or a weak one check your wires, mine was internal, so until I changed it I was having intermittent issues.