Carb air leak issues

GoldenMotor.com

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Having a little bit of a dual problem here. If I put my carb on, and tighten it down real good so there's no air leaks, its on tight enough that my slide can't move freely, and the engine gets stuck in full throttle. If i let the screw back just enough so the slide moves properly, everything works, for about 10 mins until the carb loosens up just enough, so that an air leak causes the engine to rev up real good, and wont stop unless i give it a good push back onto the intake pipe. I would like to be able to tighten it properly, is anyone else having a similar problem? What can I do to make sure the slide works properly when the carb mount is tightened.

Farthom

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Didn't see the size, but hopefully I'll be going tomorrow to get a masterlink, I'll check the size. But the outside and inside diameter was perfect, I was surprised!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try a product called Seal All, or any gasoline resistant gasket sealing compound,(Warning: Most silicone based products are not gas resistant) on the intake manifold where the carburetor slides on. Coat the intake and the inside of the carb, especially the slots that allow it to clamp around the intake. Tighten the clamp just enough to hold the carb secure then let the SealAll cure for a few hours. If the intake manifold gasket is the kit supplied one you might want to replace it with a good quality gasket material. They're easy to make. Let us know how you're doing and if these suggestions help. If you opt for the 'O' ring idea make sure it is gasoline resistant. Rubber 'O' rings will eventually be dissolved by the gas.
Tom