Werner Voss' Wanderer World War I suggested project

GoldenMotor.com

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Early in the war, the combatants were using whatever they could get their hands on. Pilots especially would bring up their own civilian bikes to use as hacks at the airfields, etc. Although by the end of the war the US did not get into it until the last 1.5 years bikes were pretty robust, many of the earlier bikes were lighter. The Brits used the single cylinder Triumph H throughout with little change from the 1915 model. The Germans used the Wanderer type both as a single and a twin both civilian and a military model. Verner Voss, one of the most famous German WWI aces was photographed with his Wanderer....would make a great motorized bike project.
I have shown this pic before but here is Werner himself (actually his ghost-as he was killed in 1917 in a a 7 versus 1 dogfight) riding the faux 1909 Kingsbury Special (Voss and several of his motorcycle pilot friends were actually fired upon by sentries one day speeding back onto the post ....the Brit Triumph riders (apparently with civilian silver painted tanks) actually rode with giant wicker cages on their backs filled with pigeons. Which brings to mind the old joke, if the birds were flying in the cages this would lessen the weight, right? :)
I have this as a potential third project following the crowd pleasing 1909 Indian. I am thinking a worksman could be modified fairly simply and the gas tank certainly would be interesting. While we get all hooked on boardtrackers remember that cruiser style bikes were historically far more used and were quite attractive in their own right.

I also wish some of the the folks would show their bikes in action. I will be making up youtube shortly, putting the special in a vintage setting with living history clothing. Also a couple of "boardtrackers" duking it out would be awful cool. I realize that there are not many who have more than one....yet...one could have quite a collection for far less than one original.

Attachments

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
i had no idea the germans made these bikes,is this what your talking about ? if so i will watch this one with great intrest,das boardtracker!
The one you posted appears to be an earlier version. Here is Voss and his more modern bike, I am thinking it is a 1914 wanderer but the bike didn't change much throughout the war. The German bikes weren't as low slung as bikes in the US were during the teens.

Attachments

MarkV

Jun 14, 2010
Austin, Texas
Ok,

I am new here and was about to attach the photos Dash asked for but I received a notice saying that I have to post three messages before I can link to photos.

I guess this counts as one message?

MarkV

MarkV

Jun 14, 2010
Austin, Texas
And now back where I was 5 minutes ago...

these bikes are to cool i think i might replicate this one! i cant find any good shots of the front end though
Dash,

Try these:

and a back view:

and a couple of rare top views:

There are actually quite a few good photos online. I enjoy doing online research when it leads to a cool bike!

(By the way, you can do a right-click "Copy Image Location" on the above images to pull up the image URLS and see them on their original sites.)

MarkV

Last edited:

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
thanks guys! glad your off probation markV im new here to but welcome! time to start a new thred

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
These bikes are actually kinda cool. They grow on you. And they're rather unique in a few ways too: not just the tank design, or the forks, but also notice the leather "chain" drive. I wonder how well that worked, it must have done okay since it seemed to be used on different years of this bike if the pictures are any indication. I can see why we "Huns" would be attracted to these.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
These bikes are actually kinda cool. They grow on you. And they're rather unique in a few ways too: not just the tank design, or the forks, but also notice the leather "chain" drive. I wonder how well that worked, it must have done okay since it seemed to be used on different years of this bike if the pictures are any indication. I can see why we "Huns" would be attracted to these.
When you compare things of American, British, German, French, there seems to be a certain thread in design for each country, as if the language, customs, and of course the geography tends to led people to design and build in a certain way, even today. The wanderer certainly has the "hun" look, while the Triumph is most certainly a "Tommie" bike, with the US bikes being the new bullies on the block, brash and powerful. Certainly easily to build a tribute bike in the mid teens to european style while with American bikes you need to step back a few years. I am thinking of maybe coming up with a detachable tank cover to make the Kingsbury special more wanderer like, although I have one of our volunteers that is starting to get hooked on the wanderer. Would be a hit at WWI reinactment events.