New Build...Turn of the Century...

GoldenMotor.com

myjeepcherokee

Dec 24, 2009
Missouri
I'm switching gears for this build and going for the turn of the century look as opposed the 1950's look of my last one. I'm basing this one on an old skip-tooth Higgins crusier frame....going for that turn of the century touring motorcycle look, with a hint of board tracker....So far I've fabbed up set of truss bars from 5/16 steel rod, I picked up the light at an auction a while back and thought it kept with the period look....and of course every old bike needs an old battery, still playing around with the look of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
dig the truss rod set-up. i need to make some for my new old bike, and i was thinking along the same lines as yours, 'cept i'm just gonna bolt the bracket to the underside of the forks. don't have a welder, and i just don't feel right about welding onto a 70+ year old bike.

i guess i want the option to restore it back to original if i ever take the motor off.

myjeepcherokee

Dec 24, 2009
Missouri
Did some more work on the Rusty Higgins this weekend, Welded up the gas tank out of some old metal shelving we had laying around work, still need to seal it and finish cleaning up the welds around the filler neck....first time welding up a tank, really enjoyed it!

myjeepcherokee

Dec 24, 2009
Missouri
The second top bar is original to the frame, the only real change I've made to the frame is the addition of the truss rods on the fork...other than that its all original!

myjeepcherokee

Dec 24, 2009
Missouri
Not sure of the gauge of the metal....what ever they use to make those 2 door upright cabinets that you see in lots of offices....I MIG welded it with my trusty Lincoln welder with flux core wire, no gas or anything fancy. Lots of small tack welds, moving from one side to another to keep the heat down so as not to blow through and to prevent warping. I'm planning using a rusting solution to make it match the rest of the bike....

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that is looking great! wait'll you start riding it, you'll get to spend a lot of time re-living old-timer's whizzer memories. i know i do.

in my eyes, you just can't beat a vintage build for style, and your's has it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Not sure of the gauge of the metal....what ever they use to make those 2 door upright cabinets that you see in lots of offices....I MIG welded it with my trusty Lincoln welder with flux core wire, no gas or anything fancy. Lots of small tack welds, moving from one side to another to keep the heat down so as not to blow through and to prevent warping. I'm planning using a rusting solution to make it match the rest of the bike....
You used a MIG welder??? Big props to you!! (^)