Bicycle Snobs

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Okay, bit of a rant here but bear with me...

First some background. I have been infatuated with 2-wheeled, open-air vehicles since I was a kid. Bicycles and motorcycles (and MBs) have been a passion of mine for 20-odd years, and unlike most hardcore (ie, no car) motorcyclists I love to bicycle as well.

But it seems to me, that I can't join a mountain bike forum for example to ask about gearing or maintenance without being berated by 90% of the people there. They have insulted my MB builds, complaining about how everybody who uses an engine that isn't human powered is a lazy fata**, have done the typical cager-like talk about motorcycles, and continually dismiss anyone who hasn't got $2000 or more to spend on an effing bicycle.

So here is a message to the snobs out there:

Number one
: Motors, gas or electric, were invented for a reason. Not everyone has the effort level or ability to be physically fit enough for, say, traveling on a completely human-powered bicycle. Yes, it's good to pollute less. Yes it's good to be fit. But people just do not have the stamina, even when fit, to do anything more than commute on a typical bicycle- and even if you spend years and lots of money training to do so, speeds of 30mph are about the limit, and that's with hugely expensive (and useless, utility-wise) carbon bikes and spandex-wearing. Even the most basic hybrid bicycle (MB), if geared properly, can get to 30mph without the need to pedal very much, and a $300 rack mount, lightweight four-stroke kit is far cheaper than that carbon bike and spandex, and does not pollute very much or use much gas. AND it gets you there with the OPTION of exercising and expending effort but doesn't strand you when you cannot. AND it goes just as fast as a pro cyclist.

Number two
: Bicyclists and motorcyclists should unite- they have one important thing in common, apart from engineering similarities: danger. Cagers (no offence to car-driving members) do NOT see us, run us down, and try to give both of us bad rep in the social conciousness (with cyclists it's the spandex-clad a**, and with motorcyclists it's the ****'s Angel-types). It IS important that both groups can stand together when threatened with legislation or social opinion that will restrict our freedom to ride our vehicles, bicycle or motorcycle, powered or not, in favour of those who want or have to drive in big four-wheeled boxes (again, no offence meant).

Number three: Yes, I know my old Trek or my Mallwart bike is not of awesome, amazing quality. I know things will need to be repaired on it after serious riding. And I know I wouldn't tour on one without tools and spare parts. BUT that does not make it right for you to simply flip off all bicycles that cost less than a damn car. There are some very crappy cheap bikes out there but there are diamonds in the rough, whether it's a thrift store bike that's getting restored or a Mallwart bike with upgraded parts or whatever if may be, if you make it better and know what you're doing, you are being inventive and resourceful, not stupid. It's the idiots who will spend thousands of dollars on easily-snapped carbon road bikes just to save four pounds of weight. Who buy thousand-dollar all-terrain bikes that they ride round the block once a year while the rest of us, who actually ride trails, get by on $300 or less and sometimes even Mallwart and yard sale finds we've fixed up a bit.
So don't give us crap about trying to do things well, trying to do things ourselves without throwing bucketloads of money most of us do not have on minor improvements.

(FYI: I have ridden a pro road bike, and a $500 ATB before. They were both good bikes and damn smooth compared to what we usually work with, but NOT worth the expense)

Phew, just had to get that off my chest.

Let me know what you think.

-Fox

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think you just have to say, "Screw what anyone else thinks, I'm having fun". If you're happy, that's all that matters in the end.

We had two lifelong Harley riders over doing some work on Pop's house. They were impressed by the British motorcycle collection, but when I asked the foreman if he would like to take the Whizzer out for a spin, you should have seen the look on his face. It was priceless. He took off like a pro and returned with the biggest smile on his face.

IT'S A BIKE WITH A MOTOR ON IT!!! If that doesn't bring you back to your childhood fantasies, what does?

Seriously, it's got two wheels and a motor! And you don't like it? I feel sorry for those people.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
One more thing. I was ridiculed for riding a scooter by pretty much everybody in my circle of friends. Then I let each of them ride the scooter.

Problem solved. They all want scooters, now.

Solution: Share the experience. Wipe out the ignorance and prejudice. If you can't appreciate how cool a scooter is, you're a dumb ass.

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Nice stories rockhopper. Ya I wish some of the bike snobs could go ride a MB and then tell me what they thought about "purity of human power", blah blah blah.

What I hate most is that I do think all people with 2-wheelers should get together in some social or political sense, because we are always being forced into tinier legal corners for the benefit of car drivers. Since so many people, even fake environmentalists, drive their cars everywhere with nary a thought to a bicycle or a motorcycle, sometimes because they need a car to haul things or children or other people, sometimes because they are simply scared- we get left in the dust. Again socially, there are little prejudices towards those of us to whom 2-wheelers are the only source of transport. From the snobbish, "hrmph, why don't you just get a car" to etc etc. So, ultimately when a new, restrictive law gets made, the car drivers fight it and we can't. If we were more of a group, we could have our own "lobby" (though I despise lobbies, it's the way the system works) and perhaps get better legal and social protections.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Unfortunately, the US will probably always be this way. Scooters and motorized bikes will probably always be stigmatized here because this is such a big, spread out country.

Scooter transportation makes good sense in European countries where everything is close and cramped. Just look at their sad, tiny roads.

I think the best we will be able to do is to convince those with short commutes in town to ride scooters or motorcycles.

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
People are jealous.... I agree... exposure sells these things.... I get made fun of all the time, but people see me on mine... and they won’t shut up.... SOOOO many questions... they are frothing just looking at it.... then IF i let someone ride it... They buy the damn thing from me.... I don’t need other people’s approval... I’ll just show them how awesome it can be...I.E. carry’s my board, get’s me to the beach faster, AND I have the BEST/any parking spot I want.... If they don’t like it... "have fun driving in circles looking for a spot, and sitting in traffic guy!” hahaha...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can't add much except that I have had a couple of heart attacks and do not have the oxygen capacity to ride a pedal bike more than a mile or so but I can ride my ebike (minor pedal assist only) until the batteries die. I can even push it home after with all that weight.

I have to go to the only serious bike shop in town for parts now and then. The children and wife of the owner treat me pretty badly, but the old guy who owns the shop goes out of his way to find me old stuff that is laying around the shop, so that I can keep the cost of my experiments with bikes down.

Some of the bike elitist are on our side of the two wheelers as well though. A guy with a two grand ebike wouldn't even talk to me with my homemade DIY bike. So I guess it's all about status with some guys. With some of us, its about function. The beauty of the form that follows will be there for those of us who are not blinded by the shiny stuff in life to appreciate. I have spoken lol

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
like this guy.

i wonder how many tons of mountain side it takes to mine a pound of titanium. or how many super fund sites are left for us poor gas bikers to clean up from making carbon fiber resin.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
One of the benefits of living in a frozen welfare state like Maine is "image" isn't nearly so important to many as "function" - even the wealthiest can be seen in old flannel shirts and the most unsightly of winter gear as we all just try and stay warm...

While there will always be snobs, those that judge on appearance, possessions & social class - I've long been thankful for the inherent Darwinism of the Maine winters as fashion slaves freeze to death and beemers find ditches to park in.

Even our terrible roads play a part - with no shoulders and frost heaves abundant, even the spandexers get a quick lesson in the practicality needed in reality, their ranks thinned they're not quite as quick to cast a scornful eye at balloon tire bikes, without a flat section of road to be found and bike paths scarce - motorized bikes aren't quite so much the devil they are other places.

Truly an odd state, we've even longhair rednecks - it really is mostly not about what you own - but what you do with it that counts...

mostly ;)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
So you have an 8000.00 Globovluchci 9vxlII that weighs 4 Oz. I have a Sun 29" cruizer with a Titan 4 stroke. Weighs about 230lbs with my fat behind on it. My belt buckle weighs more than your 250.00 Spandex Uniform. I have a trailer from wallyworld I can put 5 cases of beer in, a grill a cooler, and other stuff and ride 40 miles to enjoy this beautiful land of ours without being tired when I get there. Oh yea, that tire patch comes from Harbor Freight I fixed your 80.00 micro thin tire with. I could have left you standing there but we are not that way. You are welcome to join our BBQ party when you get to the party I'm heading to. You see Mr. Spandex man, were all bikers, I just peddle less than you. (c) So tell
your espresso drinking buddy's an old Mb'er that rides in the bike lane with you for safety saved your bacon. laff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I might have left you with the wrong impression... I live in a tough neighborhood... the bikers here mostly are homeless guys and drunks. I fit right in with the other guys in the hood.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is truly a classic and he has been riding for the last ten years. Peddle bikes are such good exercise especially when ridden with a six pack of beer on the carrier.