Crankcase Gasket

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I just received a new replacement motor in the mail today from Ebay (NO WARRANTY!) After inspecting over everything I found some type of red grease? in the back of the motor right where the crankcase splits apart at the gasket.In a small area the gasket seems to be missing but its hard to tell because the motor is black as is the seal is black.Should I just run the motor and see if grease spits out or bubbles? Can I use some type of sealant if there happens to be a tiny leak? I'm not looking forward to splitting the cases open for a first time so what can I do here? Thank you :)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If its at the back of the engine case where the through shaft is you should go ahead a try the engine. No scene in worrying about it it either will be ok or it won't. You might get lucky.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
If its at the back of the engine case where the through shaft is you should go ahead a try the engine. No scene in worrying about it it either will be ok or it won't. You might get lucky.
Yes its where the cases split apart near the shaft..Can I use some silicone or a type of sealant to seal there?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If it not the engines part of the case I would not bother putting ant sealing poo on the case.
All that is in the through shaft area is a shaft with a big spring, a bearing on both ends there is usually no shields on the inside of those bearing only on the outside.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I have been sealing my motor`s with grey silicone sealant because when my motor was running I sprayed some brake/carb, cleaner all around the case split and found that the engine rpm`s would change in several different area`s around the motor.....After doing this the motor really richened up.....Maybe I just got a leaky motor, if someone can check their motor and give me some feed back would be cool.....
p.s.
I didn`t tear the motor apart to seal it up, just spread a layer over the split in the case.....

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Holding the motor togeather w/duck tape,Do you think I should replace the missing bolts:confused:lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Ahhh....a big hose clamp,I've seen them at gas stations for putting signs on poles!..lol

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Cyanoacrylate, aka super glue, strong enough to,...well,...you can suspend yourself by a hard hat glued to a beam, need I say more? Heh!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
What ever happens to those unfortunate guys that get stuck to those beems?,,,,does this happen often??,,,,,,has anyone seen any follow-up on them?,,,,,,,,,,do they ever get down?.................lol