for all you raw engine owners

GoldenMotor.com

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
have a quick question...im going to replace the head studs with hex head bolts...what size(thread) and lenths do i need?and where is a good place to get them?...thanks.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
have a quick question...im going to replace the head studs with hex head bolts...what size(thread) and lenths do i need?and where is a good place to get them?...thanks.
Why? I’ve got almost 1000 miles on my stock RAW 66cc and have had no problems with the studs. Besides, torquing bolts directly into aluminum is not the best way.

If you insist, you will have to pull the studs to verify them. I have two RAW engines and they look like they have different parts on them or came from different suppliers. From an earlier thread, it seems that different suppliers use different threads. The best practice is a combination stud with coarse threads into the aluminum casting and fine threads for the nuts that will be torqued onto the other end of the stud.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
go to the hardware store,they will verify the tread pitch,perhaps they even have or can get a hardened bolt in the lenght you need it as well

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Hardened" bolts will be overkill. Take them with you to Lowe's or Home Depot, they have a thread guage there by the hardware you are looking for.
Why were you changing them again? ;)