Clutch cable keeps slipping, and won't tighten all the way

GoldenMotor.com

gladekrepp

Aug 15, 2009
Florida
Hi, my knowledge of these are amatuer at best, so please simplfy answers or direct to the right terms or right page!

I figured there is probably a thread on this somewhere here, but I could not find it. If you know one, I'll surely use it.

Problem: The wheel continues to spin while the clutch is pulled, gets bad until almost pushing me into traffic or canceling out my break.
Tried Solutions: I tightened the cable about once a week for a month, but lately it's been getting worse. Me and a few better mechanics tried to get it as tight as possible, and it still won't get back to no wheel spin. It's like it's slowly getting worse, and a quick tightening won't work soon. I've taken an inch off the spring with no results. It's like it's not on the cable and lever, but somewhere inside the clutch that needs to be adjusted. I didn't install this kit (chinnesse 48 cc), but could figure it out if you gave me newb phrased instructions...

Thanks, I'm planning on making this a huge hobby once I get enough money, I love my bike and can't imagine not having it for school or work.

:-||

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
mine did that too , the thing I've learned is these have the cheapst parts on them, my clutch cable was comming apart inside ,the liner was pulling into the adjuster nuts , could'nt see it from the outside but it was, check it out,I've changed all the hardware and cable to good quality parts ,good luck,,Bob

gladekrepp

Aug 15, 2009
Florida
I don't know if anyone will still get this, but it's been too cold to fix the bike! I did get into it, finally and turned the flower nut at least 2 times counter clockwise. I notice it improving each time, but it is still very bad. The wheel still spins very fast when the clutch handle is pulled... Should I keep spinning the flower nut counter clockwise? It might be like 4-5 turns instead of the 1-2 everyone says to do it.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clutch cable stretch is a problem with the cheaper kits. I had one that grew over an inch in a couple of weeks. It is worse if your clutch is especially hard to pull. Replace the cable with a good quality one before going too far on the flower nut. You'll reach a point there when the clutch starts slipping opening up another can of worms. When installing the new cable pre-lubricate it and make sure there are no kinks or sharp bends. Lubricate the handlebar lever also where the cable attaches to it.
I'm curious about which spring you've taken an inch off of. If its the small one, about 1/4" diameter, that is on the clutch cable between the clutch arm and the stand-off, remove and discard it. It is not necessary and usually causes more problems. Many of us solder the end of the cable to keep it from fraying where the cable stop tightens against it. Let us know how you make out. There are other things we can suggest to help.
Tom

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
If loosening the flower nut dosen't solve this prob. take that nut right off and compare what you see there with the pics Norman has.