Did you ever

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Have a great idea that just didn't quite measure up. I don't mean one that wouldn't work at all, heck we all have those. I mean one that promised to be a radical improvement but was just not any better than the old way. Of course it took several hours to construct then discover heck this isn't any better just more complicated.

Such was the case of the power distribution board I built today. I hooked size batteries up to give me a 36v 19ah pack. But since I blew the 36v scooter charger I am back to using my three 12v tenders. I had to rewire the battery pack into groups of two batteries hooked parallel so that I could charge them at the same time.

Anyway I devised this really elaborate board with wires and bolts everywhere. Yes it would but so would have color coded wires and the would have been a lot less complicated. Oh well it look neat. So what have you done that just fizzled.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Deacon your ideas are great,i read every one.Never give up.remember if Thomas Edison gave up we would be watching TV in the dark.H.D.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I invented a remote control spray gun for my bodyshop work . It was mostly to be used for the inside of pick-up truck beds , and eliminated crawling up inside one to paint the inner panels . Or you could use it over your head to paint instead of a ladder . It had a 4foot reach . It worked pretty good but was a pain to keep the fluid tube clean .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There are two Einstein quotes that I think both equally apply here...

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
~Albert Einstein

When building my bikes, I use the 'KISS' philosophy.... (Keep It Simple Stupid) ;)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Venice, I too, try to keep to the 'kiss' concept,,,
unfortunately, sometimes that changes to 'fubar' !!! laff
I believe the day we stop learning, is the day we go in a box :)

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Sometimes I think there is nothing more ponderous than an inquisitive mind. So many truly happy looking people seem to go through life with very little aggravation having never wondered the hows and whys of things. Ah well, it is what it is and the moments of inventive success bring a personal satisfaction to outweigh the miseries suffered along the path.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Sometimes I think there is nothing more ponderous than an inquisitive mind. So many truly happy looking people seem to go through life with very little aggravation having never wondered the hows and whys of things. Ah well, it is what it is and the moments of inventive success bring a personal satisfaction to outweigh the miseries suffered along the path.
I hear ya... & I don't want to crush anyones 'creative spirit', but I really believe that the more parts there are on a machine, the more parts that can break down.

But I wonder what makes you think that the 'truely happy looking people' have never wondered the hows & whys of things???? I think the truely happy people are the ones that don't sweat the small stuff! ;)

There was a guy here who wanted to make a 'self oiler' for his two stroke, & spend hundreds of hours & dollars just to avoid spending ten seconds of mixing a can of gas!?!?
That makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

*edit* There have also been many great inventions (& ideas that I now use) that have come along since I have been on this MB website! (^)

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have had many of those. The first one that I can remember happened when I was about four. My dad was working on his big truck and had the tire laying on the ground. I had a new tricycle and decided to ride it upon the tire and it wouldn't climb up on it. Decided to put the front wheel on the tire and then pedal it. When i got back on the seat it did a wheelie over backwards and I hit my head on a rock and got knocked out. Turned out a bad idea.
Elmo

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Pretty much any time I decide I can do an automotive job and save the labor costs. It always turns into a can of worms because of one or two of those little details that my lack of experience causes me to find the hard way!

:-||

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
when i was a wee tot i tried to show a girl how cool i was by jumping offa swing... seemed like a good idea. but 4 hours and 2 broken arms later i had a diferent mind set

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today i tried to remove a sprocket from an electric motor to weld a bigger sprocket onto the smaller one and then put it back. Sprocket was jammed. Rather than say oh well and move on, I decided that I just had to have it off that darn motor.

Well the motor is in the trash, and you guessed it the sprocket is still on the end of the drive shaft. I have no idea what is holding it. since I drilled out the pin, ground off the hub of the sprocket, and yet is still hangs on. I just threw the whole thing in the trash, before it gave me another heart attack.