dealing with 1&0

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Things seem to happen all at once to me. I had this vague idea that since I'm retired, I might want to try selling some art photography. I don't need the money and I have to have something to occupy myself or I get lazy and the devil starts to gain on me.

So the first accidental thing to play into the equation was the chop saw to make frames. See frames have always been more expensive than the picture. It would be nice to just sell the image but alas people who go to fairs want to walk from the fair into the house and hang the bloody picture on the wall. So it is mandatory to do some kind of frame. The problem is you very quickly get a small fortune tied up in frames, if you buy custom frames. If you buy mass produced ones, you still have money tied up in them, and the frame begins to dictate the size of the image which is just wrong on so many levels.

So custom frames were part of the vague plan in the back of my mind. from the beginning. The gift of the chop saw kind of pushed the plan up a bit on the get I'll-around-to-it list. It was still possible to store the saw away in a cabinet. At least until the day I got serious about the plan.

But then my brother bought a new computer and gave me his old one, less any hard drive at all. I bought a couple of large memory hard drives to store images on. So now I have to regenerate his computer and set it up as a digital image computer. I have two very, very good dedicated film scanners to attach to it. That should take a couple of days at least.

Then of course he is also bringing me a router. For that I have to build a jig to make frame rabbits. All in all its moving way faster than I would have moved, if the stars hadn't moved into alignment. Now I have to finish the front wheel drive bike by spring. Oh heck I would have anyway.

Projects seem to mount up on me. At least the devil won't have a workshop this winter.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
as I expected the computer is going to be a nightmare. My brother removed the hard drive which is only prudent. The recovery disks won't work yet so I'm having to install old windows applications so that I can get my application on it to try the recovery disK, or not. If the thing works well enough with my software, I might not bother to recover the dis.

Im on it anyway and thank god I have two more computers I can use if need be.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Doc thanks but I swear I don't know that I want to go that route. I really think I am going to try a small electric brad shooter. It will be much easier to deal with., And that isn't going to be till spring if at all. But I do thank you for the thought and I am going to send the first one to you.... lol You can burn it as well as I can.

About the computer the nightmare was a new hard drive that was bad. I have no idea why but it was. I replaced it with another one I had and the restore disk took right off.

That is always a good thing..