leek/gasket problems

GoldenMotor.com

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
Hi
I'm new to this.
Got my mb yesterday off craigslist, put a new chain and new tank in.
But during my first two rides on it the throttle wouldn't hold. I figured it was just the gas line that closed. And it worked afterwords.
But this morning I noticed it was leaking and the big gasket in them middle of the motor looked melted.

Can you suggest any links to buy an overhaul kit or gaskets?...or whatever you think I need?
:-||

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Vendors on the side bars sell gaskets. I don't know just where your engine is leaking with out a picture or more detailed info.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I just finished re gasketing my old 35 cc..-use for winter if it runs..try start tomorrow to be sure before mounting. I save my old gaskets and use for templates however i had to make template out of cereal box for cylinder gasket and then use template to trace onto proper gasket material .
You can buy small motor gasket sets that contain proper material for exhaust, cylinder; and carbs. The gasket paper for exhaust and cylinder/cylinder heads, is very special and is laminated with perforated metal- very difficult to cut but it gets done-i use dremol tool with proper bitts.
If your gasket is burning or melting then it is made out of the wrong material for where you are using it.
My gasket paper kit comes with separate sheets which are different material for different application...... some exhaust gskt material has asbestos in it so be very careful not to breath it when cutting- and wear old clothes that ur gona throw away after.
To get my gasket material, I phoned around, to small motor shops and nobody had them for sale; finally one place i called referred me to a company that supplies parts to small motor shops and they had the kits- 7 sheet kit 6'' by 6" 2 sheets for head gaskets,4 sheets for carbs, and 1 sheet of cork . Well now it's tomorrow and I just tested motor and man o man does it ever run well...it just screams!! I'm very happy that all that work was not in vain- the carb and exhaust gaskets were easy to make but the cylinder base gasket pattern is allot more complicated thus taking me a long time..I also added a brand new carburetor -should run well as long as i don't touch it!!! P. S. after assembly i spark tested and there was this beautiful blue spark.. I just love that. They say that if your spark is orange, it's no good but if you see a blue one then it's a okay.

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I just finished re gasketing my old 35 cc..-use for winter if it runs..try start tomorrow to be sure before mounting. I save my old gaskets and use for templates however i had to make template out of cereal box for cylinder gasket and then use template to trace onto proper gasket material .
You can buy small motor gasket sets that contain proper material for exhaust, cylinder; and carbs. The gasket paper for exhaust and cylinder/cylinder heads, is very special and is laminated with perforated metal- very difficult to cut but it gets done-i use dremol tool with proper bitts.
If your gasket is burning or melting then it is made out of the wrong material for where you are using it.
My gasket paper kit comes with separate sheets which are different material for different application...... some exhaust gskt material has asbestos in it so be very careful not to breath it when cutting- and wear old clothes that ur gona throw away after.
To get my gasket material, I phoned around, to small motor shops and nobody had them for sale; finally one place i called referred me to a company that supplies parts to small motor shops and they had the kits- 7 sheet kit 6'' by 6" 2 sheets for head gaskets,4 sheets for carbs, and 1 sheet of cork . Well now it's tomorrow and I just tested motor and man o man does it ever run well...it just screams!! I'm very happy that all that work was not in vain- the carb and exhaust gaskets were easy to make but the cylinder base gasket pattern is allot more complicated thus taking me a long time..I also added a brand new carburetor -should run well as long as i don't touch it!!! P. S. after assembly i spark tested and there was this beautiful blue spark.. I just love that. They say that if your spark is orange, it's no good but if you see a blue one then it's a okay.
Well tonight I might as well start the on the winter bike since ther is already snow on the ground.
:0 :/cvlt1

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I just finished re gasketing my old 35 cc..-use for winter if it runs..try start tomorrow to be sure before mounting. How do you start without having it mounted?
There is a plate that the motor mounts to-it attaches to the main housing near the flywheel and at the end where the gearbox is ...-then the plate attaches to the main mounting frame that attaches to the bike. What I did was put the plate in a vice with the plate already bolted to the motor. If you look closely in the second pic., you can see where the plate bolts to the gear box. You can also see where the plate mounts to the main frame mount. That's where the bolt threads are really clean.
P.S. I did not get propper space bar, so I just used ready rod.

Attachments