Carb Question

GoldenMotor.com

Scout Black

Nov 14, 2009
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
Greetings to all.

I just recieved my flying horse in the mail today. The carb adjustmaent screw was bent. I tried to bend it back and jammed it up even worse. So I found a screw with the same threads. The end is not smooth and rounded like the original.

How important is it that the end of the screw be smooth and rounded? If I order a new one it will take 1-2 months to get it here as I am way out of pocket.

Second question is that the spacer that mounts to the seat post has a chip missing out of it towards the top in the bolt hole. Any ideas how to make a new spacer?

Thanks in advance!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That "carb adjustment screw" is actually the idle set screw, the rounded bit is necessary as it's what controls the height of the slide (hits the lil ramp part in the pic) and thus the idle RPM;

If the unrounded screw you put in there hits the slide it could damage it and/or cause it to jam. I'd just make sure it's not long enough to hit the slide and use it to plug the hole for now until you can get another idle set screw (it just wont idle)... or you could round over the end and make yer own.

The motor mount spacer - how big is the chip?

Last edited:

Scout Black

Nov 14, 2009
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
Ok, Thanks, I will try to round it with a bench grinder. After more research, I am going to order the better carb.

The chip is about 1/4 inch in the bolt hole. I spoke with a metal guy here at work and we decided the pressure will not be that great on the area of the chip as the bolts just run through the mount. Most of the pressure will be on the part that actually touches the bike tube.

Thanks alot for the help.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sweet, glad to hear the chip isn't a big prob and yeah a better carb isn't such a bad idea lol

Welcome to the forum BTW :D

Scout Black

Nov 14, 2009
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
Thank you!

Kind of funny. I actualy live on Guantanamo Bay. There is absolutely nothing of any way shape or form down here to get a new screw.

I walk in the auto port and ask the guy, he says no, we do not have any carb screws. When I am checking out I look at some bolts I am buying and say, ya these bolts are for by bike motor. He says oh really, I have one of those. I think I have an old carb in the back. Sure enough, he gave me the screw out of it for free!!!! Small World!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
For anyone else in that lost an idle screw you can plug the hole and use the adjustment on top of the carb and at the throttle handle to do the same thing. Not as precise but will keep the engine running til you replace the screw.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just make sure what ever you use to plug the hole stays in the hole, and doesn't get sucked into the carb, or fall out and cause a deadly lean condition.