motorized bicycle 44 to 36 tooth sprocket swap

GoldenMotor.com

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
ok so I have three of these motorized bikes 2 are 700c bikes and with the stock 44 tooth sprocket it goes 40 and it only has 10- miles on motor. my question if I change to a 32 tooth what could reasonably be my top speed???? also the fixie bikes that walmart sells work great if you take the fixed sprocket off and add two 1/3"
washers to the motor drive side and one to the pedal side it makes the chain farther away from the frame. I have a 49cc and two 80cc bikes and just wonder how long till the rings wear in???? the book says 200 miles but that must be a crazy number

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
ok so I have three of these motorized bikes 2 are 700c bikes and with the stock 44 tooth sprocket it goes 40 and it only has 10- miles on motor. my question if I change to a 32 tooth what could reasonably be my top speed???? also the fixie bikes that walmart sells work great if you take the fixed sprocket off and add two 1/3"
washers to the motor drive side and one to the pedal side it makes the chain farther away from the frame. I have a 49cc and two 80cc bikes and just wonder how long till the rings wear in???? the book says 200 miles but that must be a crazy number
I wouldn't go smaller than a 36T on the bike personall, especially if the ngine is basically just a stock set up, a 32T may b to small for you engine to pull and will really hurt the bikes ability to pull you up hills, on my bikes the 36T has always been a good size for good cruising speed at lower rpms than you have ith a 44T and still has enough grunt to pull me up the hills where I live.

200 miles for a good break in period may isn't a crazy # sometime some of these engines dont reach there best and smoothest running until twice that and others will be settled in nicely at 150-200 miles, just depends on how smooth and true everything in the engine is from the beginning really and also depends on how the engine is run, if someone just putts around and never really revs the ngine mch for long stretches it may take longer for it to settle in and vise versa.

Map

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
dance1dance1dance1dance1well one has had the port work done its using the runtong carb on a offset intake also a hooker header exhaust the other has just had the port work and a little more aggressive than stock exhaust so I would have to say there not stock but modified dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If you are a lghter weight rider and you dont have many hills and just mainy ride longer flat stretches of road without a lot of stop and go town riding a 32T on a 26" wheel may work just fine for you.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
im 170 and the bikes im using are the new 700c bikes 90% of the mountain bikes are now "unisex" and the holes are too small for the motors the beach crusers are going that way too pretty soon we all will be using the 700c bikes the best one I have found is the thruster fixie Walmart sells for 80.00 the only thing you have to do is place washers on the motor drive side and im using the hardened washers that are 1/8" thick two on one side 1 on the pedal side zpt

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
If you are a lghter weight rider and you dont have many hills and just mainy ride longer flat stretches of road without a lot of stop and go town riding a 32T on a 26" wheel may work just fine for you.
I know we havn't heard from you in a while Map but to let all else know your advice is still valid and valued. I normally buy all my Driveline stuff from Jake's. Best prices I could find on adapters and sprockets. According to his purchase page - sad to report Jake's is out of business. I really wanted a 40T. they work the best for me in my region. I settled for a 36 T from Amason. similar price but never my 1st choice vendor. Your advice was the tipping point for me to try a 36. Thanks Map. You saved me about 25 bucks. Don't sound like much but thank you.

Reactions: xseler

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I also run a 36t on a 26" wheel (top speed so far is 45mph verified by GPS). The only place I've found that this sprocket just doesn't cut the mustard on my bike is over 7500ft elevation. My last trip to New Mexico found my camp at 9025' with steeper inclines than I've attempted. The ride down was a hoot......but, I had to push it back the last 1/4 mile to camp. Me or the bike needs to go on a diet!!

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Confirmation, Thanks xseler. I'm @ 65ft here in Bangor Maine. I am about 155lbs, The Santa Fe with 36T would be fine for me, but it's a for sale bike. I was going to go with a hybrid rag joint and stock 44T. adapter but I was getting too less of clearence between the chain and frame stay. a 40 T on an adapter - which I know does well even for a big guy, would probably give me another 16th clearance. A 36 would give me all kinds of room I'm sure. I couldn't find the 40T sprocket/adapter combo but did find a comb w/36. See how it goes (in april or may..I guess) Thanks xseler.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Sprocket arrived. $47.20. Came in 2 days free shipping, safely - nicely packaged and flawless cut quality. Heres a couple pics ones a blurry color match. I think it will be ok after it gets dirty. What you think?
blurred color match.jpg
sprocket adapt kit.jpg