what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

put rear view on occ one step closer to street legal motorized bicycle in ohio.bought another motor from pirate cycles for schwinn drifter build. adjusted chain on sgt. scruffy.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon

Muhahahahahah.....

Ok so got the cheapo shock absorbing seat post and the spring bottomed out with my weight while riding and as a result was not that effective.

SO I look up spring companies and found Century Spring Corp. I talked with an engineer there and told him I wanted to replace the spring in the seat with a stronger one. He had me measure a few things ( length, sping wire diameter, and threads per inch) He came up with a few options and gave me the numbers. (2) D1324, (1) D1328, 1 D-1329and (1) D-1330

The springs in the picture are all stronger then my original spring and go from about 30 percent stronger to more then twice as strong. I need to cut down the longer one and the one not shown I put in the seat already ( D-1329). It is about double the strength of the original spring.

I hope it helps. I think it will becasue I could push down on the seat and bottom out the orignial silver/chrome one that came with it. I can not do that with the D-1329. I'll experiment and see which is best!

Hopefully I dont launch myself off the bike :)

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Great idea with the cutting board Happyman, those are light but solid, cheap too :)

Nice springs fugit, good to know there's options out there. An extra glob of locktite should keep it from turning into an ejection seat rotfl

*drumroll*

Got a nice box in the mail today. Had some good weight to it. My heart skipped a beat... it was here already! Out of the box and straight onto the bike and went for a boot, I'll paint it later. Of course I'm talking about the Layback seat post! Whoohoo!

I love it! The extra 4" makes riding a lot more comfortable. And I'd like to think I'm a little more aerodynamic leaning forward a bit more, mileage-wise. It makes the bike feel that much bigger too.

Money well spent! Here's the Order Thread again, if you want one. (You know you want one ;))

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon

That spring worked great! It supports my weight and gives when hitting bumps! I may try the lighter ones as well but I think thats the one :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

The motorized bicycle looks really GREAT, Killercanuck!
The seatpost must be a major plus for you!!!

I'm gonna try for a couple weeks... I heard something about bones won't knit if subjected to vibration and I'm already tired of being banged up.

Don't want to drag this out forever.

Best
rc

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

I have thought about getting one of the lay back seat post as a, just in case I need it.

Will be interesting to hear what think about it after you use it.

Steve.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I road my Karaoke 6 miles this evening, just one of those up the ole country road and back rides to clear some cob webs....LOL!

Haven't had time to ride much here lately so it was real nice, I have some new wheels and a 30T sprocket just itching to get themselves on this cheapo bike when I can find the time, gonna replace the rear 26'' wheel & 36T with a 24'' wheel and a 30T, gonna do a couple mods on the stock engine thats on this bike as well, upgrade upper bearing, cut piston skirt & clean the ports up, this engine is very surprisingly strong in it's stock form so I figure it will be a real nice one with some simple mods to get more fuel/air in and out quicker.

Peace, Map

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I repaired the exhaust and rode it around the neighborhood for a whole whopping 0.7 miles.
According to the cheap Schwinn speedo I hit 31mph, was not trying to go that fast either.
It sounds good and has a little bit more hill climbing ability now.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

.shft.I pulled my daughter in her kid trailer, to the neighborhood playground. My wife got off work early, so she carried her home after we ate, and I put the trailer in the car. I raced my wife back home the 5 miles from the park. My wife beat by less than 5 minutes. ;-)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Well, I finished brazing my aluminum tank. Now I have to wait for my sealant to come in. Then comes surface finishing and priming. Then painting. At least the hard part is over. I may take a final picture of the finished product.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California

Today I soldered and redrilled my NT jet smaller, and I'm liking it. Before my bike would bog down at high rpm, and now it just flows up the rpm until it tops out. I need to change the idle a little bit because it sounded like it was idling a little high. And I'll do a plug chop. I also purchased a rustoleum color changing paint to paint the gas tank and handle bars to compliment the color of the frame. I know I'm still new to this but I really like it! :D

1flyingfool

May 25, 2011
Yelm

I rode to Lacey, from Yelm, and broke down. The woodruf key came out,my fault, it broke one other time and I had to put a gear and the key, when I put the first one in,I didn't get it right. that is all, I had to pedal about 3mils,I was hating life. I cauught the bus most of the way, I had to lift it up and down 4 times and I had stuff in the saddel carrier in the rear.Got home and fixed again,this time I was real carfel abou it this time. Then I worked on the new boat garage. Well tomarrow is another day and if it goes well I'll get the lawn mowed. Thanks all.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh

stillbreaking in occ, mounted sprocket adapter on drifter,next to mount the 40t sprocket had 36on cranbrook good top end but light off the line hoping the 40 will do the trick on the drifter.one reason i love the adapter is easy to change gear size.motor shipped should be here in week or so. went with pirate cycles pk-80 silver,had good luck with it on the cranbrook.

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico

In this days have mount a rear handbrake, My current brake setup is a coaster brake and a front handbrake,mount rear handbrake because coaster brake lever have broke thrice.

Attachments

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico

I've Have noticed on these days my gasoline tank switch was not doing his work on stoping gas flow,was trying to get one but not found and went to Home Depot and have to buy 3 part to make the gas line connection,after went to an Motorcycle store to buy gas line,filter and tank switch.

Attachments