Drilling aluminum rim w/ss eyelets

GoldenMotor.com

Joemamma

Apr 8, 2011
Ca
Hey all,

I went to drill out the stainless eyelets in my rims so the 12 gauge nipples would fit. The first eyelet spun and then broke out. The 12 gauge nipple fits in the hole fine but, is the aluminum without the eyelet strong enough to withstand the tension from the spokes?. Would I be better off getting 14 gauge spokes and nipples instead (no drilling)?. I have 32 hole rims and hubs and a shift kit so no rag joint on the spokes. Thanks for any help

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Whew!
...dats messin w serious bidness...
do u have a substantial rim? is the al thick enough?
u gonna be goin faster than a bike rim is designed 4, right???
i got no worries abt a frame that might crack... at least u got a warning if u do a regular quickie inspection... if yer wheel gets un-round, quickly, u gonna have a massive E ticket on yer hands!!! probly not gud!

sumtimes yah just gotta xercise a littl bit of caution...

gud luck
rc

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I don't think the eyelets have anything to do with the strength of the rim . I think it has more to do with a corrosion thing . Like I said none of the rims I have came with the eyelets . I have quite a few miles on one bike and never had a rim or spoke problem . I would be more concerned with a bad lace job and having the spokes to tight.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

now, the question is...

do u take advice from 'headtrama', and someone who's stuff is all rusty from settin out in the WX... lol

What a great forum!
I like it!
:)

Merry Christmas to all!

Joemamma

Apr 8, 2011
Ca
Hey Trama,

would it be possible to tell me the thickness of the aluminum where the nipple goes through, on the rim that you use? I could compare the thickness to my rims. Thanks

Last edited: