installed brand new motor, and the chain is scraping on the in side of cover????

GoldenMotor.com

AJAGLASS

Mar 15, 2010
Forestville
installed brand new motor, I got the Raw kit. The chain is scraping on the in side of cover???? I have not used the bike yet, I was afraid of scraping through the cover. Is there some sort of an adjustment? I heard of grinding teeth tips down to help with chain, but it seems to fit on sprocket well. the chain just seems to be to wide to be going through there, Is this normal for 80 cc engines to have chain scrape? Please help, I am new to posting on this site, I could use some help..thanks Aaron

AJAGLASS

Mar 15, 2010
Forestville
Aaron, what part of the cover is the chain rubbing on? the side of the cover or at the top of the cover?
It is rubbing on the left side of the inside of the cover. Right next to the left of the sprocket, the chain hits it as it is going around. the alignment seems good, the chain just seems too big to fit through narrow passage way. It is close to edge and right in the middle. I would give link, but i am new to site, and it wont let me.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one of my bikes does that, and the chain's in perfect alignment. i just tell people i have the new "glitter" chain, since the aluminum dust gets all over it.

in the long run, it'll either wear to a point where it's not hitting anymore, or explode.

AJAGLASS

Mar 15, 2010
Forestville
one of my bikes does that, and the chain's in perfect alignment. i just tell people i have the new "glitter" chain, since the aluminum dust gets all over it.

in the long run, it'll either wear to a point where it's not hitting anymore, or explode.
explode, I would not want that to happen,? !!!.shft..shft..shft..shft.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I had the same condition even though everything is aligned etc.
I did a little grind and file work to get the wear over with.

AJAGLASS

Mar 15, 2010
Forestville
What size chain do you have? Is it a 415 or 415H?
Not sure, I got the Raw motor kit. It says it is a 415 chain. Finally got it going today, with a little bugs worked out I took it for a spin, and it made it up my road!! At first the tension pully was off allingment, and I finally got it straigtened out. It might be a little close to the rear sprocket, I was thinking I should move it up towards the motor more, but then I would have to pop off another link.Picasa Web Albums - AJAGLASS.boogy1a.rd.

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Many people report better success with a #410 chain instead of the 415. It's narrower, but has the same pitch.
In my case, though, with a ZBox 66cc engine, the countershaft sprocket teeth are too wide for 410. (I'm grinding them narrower for a perfect fit for #410.)

Just checked out your pics. Mine did exactly the same at that point. I ground it out with a dremel. 410 should solve that, if it'll fit your countershaft sprocket. Like me, you might need to grind the tooth edges.

You'll probably need to twist and bend the tensioner bracket a bit to make it align perfectly with the chain.
Take your time on this and get it just right.
Also ensure that the tensioner is clamped very tight. You don't want it pulling into the spokes - goodbye rear wheel and lots of skin.