New here and got a problem

GoldenMotor.com

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
First off, This is a great site! I am very impressed with everyones builds.

I bought a beach cruiser with an engine installed (80cc/66cc) and everything was fine. went about 30mph on flats and about 22mph up hill (bicycle computer). Then I blew the lower rod bearing and away went that motor. I just picked up another motor with 2 hours on it so its pretty new. I put it on my bike and it started right up. BUT... now it feels like it has no power. It goes 20mph but wont make it up hills. I pulled the plug and its looking like its running rich. Here is a checklist of what I have done to trouble shoot.

1. Change out magneto
2. Change to ngk plug
3. Checked carb for dirt
4. Checked exhaust for build up (poopoo pipe)
5. Checked for leaky gaskets.
6. Tightened head bolts.

Im at a loss. Should I get a new carb? A new engine kit?

I have NOT tried smaller jets yet. I am waiting for some input as I have never "rejetted" something. I have however soldered and welded for a few years so I am capable of the task.

Thanks again for this fantastic forum.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome....where is your C clip?
Second from the top to begin with.
Soldering the jet closed and re-drilling is easy, as long as you have the small drill bit.

.027"

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
C clip is all the way to the top (lean). Im running the same gas I was running in my other motor (91 octane 32:1 full syn oil)

Located about 45 min north of san diego. (Vista 92081)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Chances are, you might have bought a bad engine? Maybe there's a reason the last guy only had it on his bike for 2 hours??
Maybe the other guy ran it without oil in the gas?????

If not, I would check the whole bike & engine for anything new that might be 'dragging'.
It the new engine a 49cc by chance???

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"2 hours on it so its pretty new"

It may be something as simple as it's just not broken in yet - almost all of 'em 4stroke and run like **** for the first 100mi or more.

The above suggestions are all good 'uns - check for leaks, but also just ride the heck outa the thing :D

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
I dont believe it has any problems (abuse, bad engine) that the last guy knew about. I also have a 3 month warranty on it so either way, Im ok.

I am going to just put some miles on it this week and if it doesnt loosen up, I will call the guy and let him know my problem.

I dont think its an air leak as its running rich, not lean. (black plug).

I might try and make the jet smaller and see how it runs.

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
Can you just use the carb from the motor that was running strong?
Thats the weird part... I am using the carb from my last engine. My last engine was running so strong. The plug was a nice brown color. This one has a black plug and 4 stroking like no other.

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
ok. I installed a new carb and same problem.

Im thinking maybe I getting some vibration somewhere or it needs broken more. I further talked with the guy that sold it to me and he had it on for less than 2 hours, more like 1. He switched to a different engine because of 2 reasons. He cracked his frame and this engine has a smaller mount on front. Seems like a really nice guy and will look at my bike if I cant figure it out.

Im open to more input if you are willing.

Thanks again

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i still say ride it more. mine ran slower than i hoped for when i got it, and after reading a million other posts, i figured it just needed to break in. after 3 tanks of gas, i was full throttle-ing it down the street, probably going 25, when suddenly it smoothed out and took off. the radar sign by the school said i was hitting 34. it ran waaaay smoother and faster.

THEN, i started messing with porting and jetting.

if you try to much too soon, you'll probably never get it running right.

just have some patience, and bog it around for awhile...

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
i still say ride it more. mine ran slower than i hoped for when i got it, and after reading a million other posts, i figured it just needed to break in. after 3 tanks of gas, i was full throttle-ing it down the street, probably going 25, when suddenly it smoothed out and took off. the radar sign by the school said i was hitting 34. it ran waaaay smoother and faster.

THEN, i started messing with porting and jetting.

if you try to much too soon, you'll probably never get it running right.

just have some patience, and bog it around for awhile...
Thanks... I will be put putting around as much as I can this week. I have never broken one of these engines in so I didnt know if it was broken or what.

Thanks again. This forum is great. I look forward to being here along time.

adamsautocare

Sep 25, 2009
socal
Problem Solved!!!

Turned out to be a bad top end. It had bad blow by creating low compression. Was either not broken in right, or just a dud. Either way I slapped on one of my broken in spare top ends and hit 30mph up hill.

Thanks for all your support.dance1

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
where do u live u might have to adjust ur neddle in the carb and must port the intake and exaust pipe and cut the gasket to fit u loose lot of power and run plenty of oil in the mix it conditions the motor and does not cause power loss hit me up