Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am not really anything like a mechanic so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would most needles have the grooves in the top of them. Like I said I know nothing about carbs in general. Probably from the fact that I installed my throttle wrong TWICE you could have guessed that.
No question is stupid...on this site.

Yes, every one I've ever seen has 4-5 grooves.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When you first get your engine do you ever take a bike frame tube and tape course #80 grit emery cloth to a chunk of correct size frame tube and sand the mounting lugs on the engine to get rid of any imperfection on the mount as I've done this on all of mine and yet to have a engine fall off or come loose along with the other frame mounting technique I use and employ.
Something to ponder.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Buy yourself a ski mask, not a mechanical tip but still an excellent thing to have. One of my best 2 buck purchases. Except it does a number on your peripheral vision

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I was working on the giant mountain bike and I decided to fit the 24" sissy schwinn wheel the the huge mtb even though the tube was missing. I removed the tire as well since it was in the way. You guessed it the rim stip came apart.

I went looking for one but of course the only one I could find was at the bike store and I have already been out today. I began researching and found that many of the bike shops no longer use rim strips as such. they put down two layers of duct tape instead.

I just happened to have a roll of black duct tape. So I started the strip of tape and found it was too wide. I made the end rip and of course a half wide strip rolled off for me. I made one round the started again with the other half. I have a very nice little pad for the tube when it arrives and it doesn't slide around. Far as what I can tell from what I read it will work just fine. I'll let you know if it doesn't

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I use plastic electrical tape 2 wraps around the wheel and no rubber rim strip on regular tube and tires nothing fancy, one tube on my ratbike is 18 years old and I supect Uncle Sam will be sending a slective service notice to it soon.rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good to know guys. The one thing that surprised me was that everything I read said use rim tape. That is until I stuck duct tape into the search. Then everything I read said duct tape was better. Really seems to be anything to take the edge of the spokes will do.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
yes and a power wire wheel brushing in the rim where the tape goes will knock down or off rust and fine pointed things that like to poke your tube when your on a 12 mile ride and they do like to want until your way way out there to poke the tube.
check out the lights for your bike on my site
Norms Iron Works

Last edited:

HARDKNOCK

Jan 25, 2008
Jacksonville Florida
Well put, only thing I can think to add it to check for loose parts after each ride and again before you take off. My forks loosen up often and I even had my crank loosen up. My son ran one till the exhaust almost fell off, he is not very mechanically enclined.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not sure this is worth much but I just rode my bike. The mirror had to be readjusted twenty times. When I got home, I finally managed to get to the auto store to buy a convex mirror. You know one of those "its closer than it looks things." Well to be honest that isn't a problem, If anyone is behind me no matter how close or far, I'm waiting for him to pass before I do anything. I just want to know someone is back there. Those mirrors are more or less always in adjustment.

The one I got is a peel and stick the same size as my regular mirror, so I just covered it up. I added a turn of tape around the edge just in case.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: take a tip...leave a tip...or a bunch of 'em

These engines were originally made to haul around people for a tiny sip of fuel, low operating costs, and ease of MAINTENANCE....kinda like the old V-Dub beetle. Or the early Honda step through. Or the model T.

Top performance for these engines then should be defined as great fuel mileage, ease of operation and low overall cost.

Some are treating these engines like they should do something other than putt around on a litre of fuel all day and get you where you are going with a minimum of drama.

You aren't going to make one of these engines haul you down the coast @ 40+ MPH or win any stop light drags with that blue haired lady in the Volvo. (although, you may)

You aren't going to find any magic fuel or "performance" add-on that is going to do anything you can't do for pretty much free with the exception being your time. Coleman fuel? nah...super duper spark plug thingy? nah....NOS or turbos? Are you serious? You aren't really serious, are you?

100+ MPG? Yes. Easy running, and easy maintenance? Yes. Lots of tinkering and learning to do maintenence and repairs? Yes, if you want to keep riding it. Fun? Of course, why else would you want to own one?

Buy a good plug, and a good replacement sparkplug wire cap from Pep Boys or other favorite large auto outlet.
Never remove a sparkplug from a hot engine, you may remove the threads from the head as well.
Here's a list of replacement plugs- do it today!

NGK B5HS (preferred)
Champion L86C
Champion CJ7Y low profile or CJ-8
Autolite 4093 or 425

Mix your fuel/oil mixture @ 20:1 for break-in and 36:1 after.

Buy some good gasket paper DON'T MAKE ONE FROM A CEREAL BOx! (really cheap) and make a couple intake gaskets, and install one, even if you think yours is fine. You can make gaskets really easily by drawing the new gasket by using the old gasket as a pattern, and no, it doesn't have to be PERFECT. Use an exacto knife and take your time, finish the rough stuff with some 220 sandpaper. Some of you (me) old-timers will use the "good old ball peen hammer method" to make the gaskets.

Make sure your carb is set right and that means check where the needle clip is, start at the second from the bottom in most cases. One slot lower near sea level. I have two bikes and they are both set up diferently due to poor tolerances in manufacturing FIND THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU- it just depends on your carb and your elevation. (I'm @ 1000' here)

Clean out your tank before you mount it...at least look in there and see if it's full of rust or crud. You can use a shop vac ONLY IF THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ONE DROP OF FUEL...otherwise you'll blow your shop vac to smithereens.

While your in a cleaning mood, pop off the mag side cover and clean all the metal shavings out of there with some spray can brake cleaner and compressed air. Check the area around the sprocket too- full of metal dust!

To save yourself a lot of hassle, buy a length of M6X1.00 pitch threaded rod and REPLACE ALL THE STUDS. Or make them outta bolts like I did. Those would be the intake, exhaust and also the four mounting studs. The originals are made of "anti-metal" and will strip at the first inopportune moment.

Secure all wires with zip ties or electricians tape so none are pulling at the ends or connections. Seal up any ends/connections that are in doubt with liquid electricians tape...READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN!

Grease your gears with some wheel bearing grease or lithium grease before you ever fire the engine up, then again after about 50 miles. USE ONLY A TINY AMOUNT OR YOU'LL BE CLEANING THE CLUTCH SOON. (a dab about the size of a pencil eraser is PLENTY. Clean them first with some brake cleaner, or carb cleaner, then lube.
Don't spray brake or carb cleaner in your eyes, you won't be doing anything else on the bike for awhile afterwards, if ever.

While you are greasing stuff remove, clean and grease all your wheel bearings, or YOU WILL BE SORRY. Bicycles are not really made to haul a 200+ pound guy over the road and all the bumps/potholes/ect @ 25-35 mph. The bearings take a massive beating. Use red grease because it starts to turn black when it needs servicing.

Make sure your chain is aligned and lubed. Same goes for the pulley/tensioner. Don't make the chain TOO TIGHT. 3/4-1" play.
Always clip on your masterlink so the opened end faces toward the rear when it's at the top of the chain run and going forward.

Zip tie your spokes where they cross while you are installing your sprocket.

Balance your wheels- I used solder wrapped around the spokes at the rim. You can buy stick on weights at the sporting goods store...in the golf aisle.

Don't try to use your clutch to take off.

Use loctite on every bolt you put a wrench on, and don't OVERTIGHTEN the head bolts, or any bolt that goes into aluminum. 15-20 ft/lbs. is enough, and that goes for the spark plug too! While we're on the subject, you do use anti-seize compound on the plug threads, don't you? Never remove a sparkplug from a hot engine, you may remove the threads from the head as well.

Make sure your brakes are up to par. Stuff hurts more @ 35MPH than it does @ 10MPH, especially if it stops you before your brakes do.

Ride defensively, because the only drivers that will see you are the ones you DON'T want to see you- aka "da fuzz".

If you have a problem with dogs chasing you- eventually they get old and bored and leave you alone...if they are smart.

I'll be refering to my own advice soon....kits are on the way!

bravofire84

Feb 13, 2008
hey the way i solved my clutch handle problem is i took a electric hacksaw a grinded little grooves in the metal so when i pull the clutch it sticks in the grooves after awhile it operates smoothly.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know this is pretty simple, but I had to fill a space in the frame last night. I had almost the right amount of space between the bars for the engine but it was just a little too much. The studs would fit but if I tightened the one on the seat post side the other wouldn't quite reach. I just used 1/3 of a piece of heater hose inside the motor mount. I slipped it between the motor and the frame then tightened it down. I had to do the same on the down rod, but it tightened right up. Heater hose is a nice thick piece of rubber and there is no tread like on a bike tire. the mount makes full contact.

Lesson learned in the first install that work on the reinstall.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Heater hose should dampen a lot of the vibrations as well. Let us know how the hose holds up.

Lots of excellent tips here. It would have been great to have this resource for my first build. Not that I don't enjoy learning the hard way...it tends to stick with me longer.

:)

Reactions: Doug Skullery

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I used the heater hose on my first build since the rods were to small. Had to beef them out a little and the hose worked great. As a matter of fact it's the same hose I'm using on this build.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I also found a good use for heavy hose like that. I got sick of buying and installing handle bar grips. I just cut me a piece of hose the right length split it and removed a section to make it small enough then ran a couple of courses of electrical tape on it. Next time I need to take off a brake lever, I'll just slit the electrical tape.

The hose doesn't have the little knobs for finger grips but I like it better without them for some odd reason.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Great idea...heater hose for grips. I'm constantly changing handlebar configurations, levers, etc. and removing the grip is a pain. I can imagine the hose rubber would make a comfortable grip.

Does anyone else snap their clutch levers on a semi-regular basis?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The best thing to me is that the grip can be removed without taking the mirror off. My mirror is in the end of the handlebar.

When I bought that mirror it would only go up not out, so I modified the holder so the mirror sticks right straight out. I'm afraid to take it out of the handle bar end. If I do I might have to do something else to it and it works now.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
today I received a chain breaker I bought on ebay for 7bucks with shipping, I tried it on the 3/16 415 motor chain and it works beautifully. I had no idea that it would when I bought it. It is a summit brand and it is one big mutha. Just thought I would pass it along. I broke the first chain a minute ago to test it and it worked beautifully. Cant speak to how long it will last yet but it broke the motor chain without breaking a sweat.