Old school, retro grouch, from Oregon..

GoldenMotor.com

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Sounds ominous..

Hi, my name is Lewis, I'm building an old bike that I've had since '97 into a motor assisted bicycle.

The bike itself being an 1987 Nishiki 26" wheel size, 21" frame size commuter that I've hacked into a beach sand rider

. I'm also using an old 2 cycle engine I've got on hand, an early 80's vintage SRM-Echo 30 cc weedeater engine. It has a built in auto clutch and is in pretty good condition, plus there's a few replacement bits to be found on Ebay to keep it running for a few years.

The build is already been in slow, methodical development. It's going to be set up as a friction drive using a bike rack on the back with a jackshaft/belt reduction to a bearing carrier/friction drum, with some modifications to the rack and bike frame that allow the bike to be put back into a pedal power with the removal of a few bolts and nuts, I want just a single engine control, (throttle) while keeping the rack and the rest of the bike unaffected.

The engine is old school in power and running about 1.0~1.1 HP and more of a low speed torque engine than a high RPM like the Tanaka's and Mitsu's. It has a big flywheel cooling fan and heavily shrouded engine, it's never had any cooling problems. Not that Oregon that this would be a problem, our biggest worry here is the salt air and damp.

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a fun project in the works. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for joining us.

You'll probably enjoy our DIY section where other non-kit builders discuss their motorized bicycles using various engines and drive designs.

Tom

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Thanks Tom, I've been reading the forum off and on for about a year now. Since I used to own an old VeloSoleX, the Flying Horse VeloSoleX clones thread was very interesting, too bad the engines aren't available any more.

I've made some additional progress from the photo's I've posted, but I'm a bit behind on other projects so getting them and a dedicated thread up will be a while.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. The 87 Nishiki should be plenty sturdy. Frame tubing is likely straight gauge chrome moly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was impressed with Nishiki frame strength. Here's an 80s vintage one that I motorized some years back. :)

I'll admit the kickstand could use some work however.

Tom

Attachments