what on earth ??? a new kit ? upside down motor ?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Cool. Good find. The exhaust looks like an expansion chamber. The engine is mounted close to the same way my Currie e-motor is mounted to my bike.
I wonder if that drive gear free wheels. If so, it may be a nice pedaller too.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
lol i know i saw that ..... lol lol this whole thing has to be a joke !!!

i mean 33cc ?!?!?! and the designe is terrible !!! who made this ????

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Cool. That is very new. The freight price is cheaper to New Zealand though :)

Essentially it's a copy of how some British and European cyclemotors were set up. Turning the cylinder upside down helps to lower the centre of gravity a little and with the engine being that low on the bike the offset weight distribution isn't so much of a problem.
I like it, but I'd want to see a better shipping deal before I'd take the Debit card out of my purse.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just wonder about all the weight on one side like that, it seems like it would be way out of balance. How do you make a turn?
Staton has made a side mounted drive like that for quite a while.

My buddy STrotter had one powered by a 35cc Robin Subaru and it goes great.
You do not even feel any effect from the motor and gearbox being hung off the side of the bike and it does not interfere with left hand turns.

Once again Staton innovates like His friction drive design and he gets a cheap Chinese "copy" made to compete with him.

BoyGoFast sold a side mounted set up with a 50cc 4 stroke Hausheng motor which came with a 2 stroke expansion chamber!!!! Those wacky Chinese never cease to amaze with the copies they screw up.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't think it's a joke at all. And if there's any quality in that kit, then it's likely a good drive train.

The offset weight is not going to be enough to notice. That's based on my experiece with a Currie e-Zip anyway. The weights are likely to be close.

But I'd be reluctant to spend about $400 without seeing some track record. But maybe that'll happen.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I love the placement and concept of this style engine mount. Dave did a build way back. He called it "Junk Yard Dog"

In my little brain it solves a lot of the puzzles. Engine is out of the way of the pedals. Noise and vibes are behind and low. (low center of gravity) Allows for rack/storage space. Looks more like a bicycle. (legal stuff) and just all around, makes for the most efficient use of space and ease.

But a lot of folks don't like the look. But the "utilitarian" thing really puts a smile on my face.

Just my V.H.O. but really like it.

Bought the parts and a 99cc engine 2 yrs ago to do an "'ode to Junk Yard Dog" build. Gonna be strapped to the right side and horse-shoe over the wheel to a rag joint. (chain drive)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think the engines that mount on or near the axle would really appeal to recumbent and tadpole trike riders. A rack mount engine is often right behind your head on a recumbent, requiring top of the line ear buds.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Staton has made a side mounted drive like that for quite a while.

My buddy STrotter had one powered by a 35cc Robin Subaru and it goes great.
You do not even feel any effect from the motor and gearbox being hung off the side of the bike and it does not interfere with left hand turns.

Once again Staton innovates like His friction drive design and he gets a cheap Chinese "copy" made to compete with him.

BoyGoFast sold a side mounted set up with a 50cc 4 stroke Hausheng motor which came with a 2 stroke expansion chamber!!!! Those wacky Chinese never cease to amaze with the copies they screw up.
Wow, ok. I guess I stand corrected. I would love to drive one sometime just to see how it feels..duh.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The Chinese do 33cc 4 stroke kits as well, $US241.98 to New Zealand.

It pays to check around amongst the Chinese traders because some of them are waaaaay more expensive than others.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-16-33cc-four-stroke-engine-bicycle-conversion-kit/1478298179.html

That is awesome Intrepid. I really dunno why this sort of kit has never caught on. Then again, I like rack-mounts.

Really cool thing is if we really look, some one has tried every thing we can think of. Very often decades or even centuries ago. I really enjoyed your posts/pics of the side wheelers.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The Chinese do 33cc 4 stroke kits as well, $US241.98 to New Zealand.

It pays to check around amongst the Chinese traders because some of them are waaaaay more expensive than others.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-16-33cc-four-stroke-engine-bicycle-conversion-kit/1478298179.html

That is awesome Intrepid. I really dunno why this sort of kit has never caught on. Then again, I like rack-mounts.

Really cool thing is if we really look, some one has tried every thing we can think of. Very often decades or even a century ago. I really enjoyed your posts/pics of the side wheelers.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thanks Dan. It would be a good setup on one of the older English bicycles like I ride. A front or rear rack mount puts too much weight up high on a 28inch wheeled bicycle and as well as that I like to actually use the rear carrier rack on my bicycles to well.... carry things.

If you were to spend an hour or two looking around Google Patent Search you'd be truly amazed at just how much was first thought of during the 1890's-1900's.

I will be getting back to the motorwheel project soon. I have to finish clearing out all the rubbish from my garage workshop first.