fork tube info needed

GoldenMotor.com

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Can somebody educate my ignorant self? I read banter about making fork posts fit a given frame with occasional mention of a 1" tube... here I am assumng the post itself, as the common OD I encounter is 1.5"... and I am noticeing the head tubes are 4.75" or larger. How many different sizes are there? And what options for connection are there if not threaded? The reason I am asking is this- I am conspireing with another lunatic... er... enthusiast... to ressurect the SAGER springer forks of yor, scaled to a 26" fat wheel and a bicycle frame. Also considering a minor re-design to allow either caliper or cantilever brakes (those that actually pivot from a boss on either leg of the fork, is that the correct term?) to be used o the design. Yes, I know- brakes on a true SAGER are a dangerouse proposition, that's why I'm doing the redesign.
the Old Sgt.usflg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most common fork steerer tube sizes are 1", 1 1/8", and 1.5."

it's funny to me that most bikes use the metric system now, and if you ask for a 1" headset, some kid will tell you "we only have 25.4mm..."

i always like asking them to measure it for me, to make sure. i wanna see them find that extra .4mm.

sorry, back to your questions...

they make threadless headsets in all sizes. basically, the stem holds it it on. if you're making your own fork and want it threaded, as long as you have the right OD tubing, any competent bike shop usually has the die available to thread it for you for a coupla bucks. you can buy your own, but they ain't cheap, and it's not often you have to thread a steerer tube.

frame head tubes come in all different lengths these days, when before, they used to be more or less standardized, or at least there were more common lengths. threadless headsets have spacers available to change the stem height, as long as the fork tube is long enough.

Last edited:

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I'm guessing that I WILL be threading a few of these things, so I suppose the 1" ought to be the ticket... especially as the back forks will be a triple tree operation. I have a lathe set up where I can turn the face by hand and let the threads do the feed... it's fussy, but reliable.
the Old Sgt.usflg