68 spoke wheel

GoldenMotor.com

junkdog

Jul 9, 2011
tennessee
Thinking about building a bike (the Micargi Cougar) it has a 68 spoke count on the rims. Anyone know if the rag-joint or sproket/hub adaptor will work on this wheel? Thanks.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You don't need a rag joint for the 68 spoke wheels. Won't work without compromising some spokes. With just a little enginuity one can easily bolt the stock HT sprocket to them. I have done several.
If ya can't figure it out yerself, Manic Mechanic sells a custom bolt on sprocket.

coryc

Jun 17, 2011
bullhead city,AZ
this question is about as close to mine as i've seen, so rather than start a new thread; does anyone know if the rag joint or manic mech. sprocket/hub thing fits on a fan-spoked rim? i asked manic mech but never got a reply. i had bought a 144 spoke rim and bolted on the sprocket directly to the hub 'skirt' (between spokes and axle) as it sounds your recommending this guy does. it was a clean, pro job by a machinist. it would have worked if the hub was one solid, cast piece but on these fancy looking billion spoke rims the hub is 3 pieces: center/axle tube, and two pressed on 'skirts'......so it grenaded upon take off....splitting the skirt in half and ripping the spokes on the drive/sprocket side of the rim. this is on a coaster brake rim. so....before i buy a fan-spoked rim (which might have enough spoke separation to get rag joint bolts thru) i was wondering if anybody had tested it out? the manic mech. part looks like it has 3 bolts which go thru the spokes to attach the sprocket, i'm thinking this would work if positioned on the hub properly.